- All Jobs
- Finance Officer
- Programme Assistant
- Programme Coordinator
- Programme Manager
- Programme Officer
- Project Assistant
- Project Coordinator
- Project Manager
- Project Officer
- Technical Officer
Position: Secretary General
Supervisor: SEO-Vietnam Board
Category: Full-time position
Location: Ho Chi Minh City
Start date: ASAP
Application deadline: Open until position filled, early applications are appreciated
Contact point: Tony Ngo ([email protected])
Louise Coventry ([email protected])
Founded in 2009, Sponsors for Educational Opportunity - Vietnam (SEO-Vietnam) is a non-profit organization with a vision of responsible leadership in Vietnam and a mission to cultivate and connect emerging leaders, creating an impact.
Our flagship Fellowship Program, the most prestigious and competitive career program in Vietnam, has operated for ten years. The program cultivates leadership knowledge, skills, and attitudes among high achieving tertiary students, and it connects these students to each other and with leading businesses and non-profit organizations in Vietnam. Through these activities, our network of alumni leaves a positive impact in their personal and professional communities, and in broader Vietnam society.
SEO-Vietnam’s Fellowship Program has graduated has nearly 500 alumni who are currently living around the world. We are investing in various additional alumni development programs and community service initiatives, including a formal mentorship program. In addition, SEO-Vietnam is committed to supporting disadvantaged younger students to cultivate their leadership skills and experience through a new Momentum program.
SEO-Vietnam is staffed exclusively by volunteer alumni consistent with SEO-Vietnam’s commitment to being alumni-led. Alumni also comprise the majority of board members.
The essence of this role
Under the direction of the chairperson of the board, the Secretary General will assist the board with the strategic leadership and management of SEO-Vietnam and will contribute to the development and achievement of long-term strategic objectives.
SEO-Vietnam is looking for a Secretary General with a supportive and encouraging leadership style, who is comfortable and skilled to lead from behind, coordinating across programmatic and functional areas of work and facilitating alumni to succeed and shine. Specifically, we expect that the Secretary General will employ a servant-leadership style that empowers and supports directors of each program and function. With extremely capable volunteer directors, we aspire to encourage their creativity and commitment through a decentralized decision-making structure.
The Secretary General is central to creating a dynamic environment for SEO-Vietnam activities to take place. The Secretary General is expected to manage the program cycles required to ensure positive experiences for fellows and alumni, sustainable interpersonal and community connections and long-term impacts towards responsible leadership in Vietnam.
A new Secretary General will have a long onboarding process under the direct guidance of our current chairman, Tony Ngo, to establish a detailed understanding of all projects and the role. In addition to upfront onboarding, there will be weekly 1-on-1 meetings with the chairman on an ongoing basis to ensure fluid communication and preparation.
The ideal Secretary General:
- Leads and manages SEO-Vietnam towards the achievement of the organizational strategic objectives under the supervision of the board
- Ensures that volunteer staff, programs and activities are effectively supported, resourced and coordinated
- Raises funds
- Represents SEO-Vietnam to relevant external stakeholders as directed by the board
Specific deliverables of this role:
- Recruit, coordinate, supervise and coach/mentor (volunteer) executive team members (n=7) to deliver various aspects of SEO-Vietnam operations and programs.
- Provide direction, guidance, assistance and support to executive team members, and other volunteers as appropriate, to carry out their responsibilities, ensuring that they receive adequate professional guidance and development opportunities.
- Lead the ongoing review of our offerings to all stakeholders (fellows, alumni, volunteers, partners, supporters) and contribute to the tailoring of program content and processes to maximize the learning experience of fellows and alumni.
- Facilitate communication between board and executive team members.
- Troubleshoot emerging issues in a timely manner.
- Actively contribute to an organizational culture of alumni empowerment and self-directed responsibility, the celebration of diversity and inclusion, and ongoing collective and individual learning.
- Ensure that the board receives timely and relevant financial information including monthly expenditure reports, bi-yearly report of expenditures against the budget, expenditure projections, budget monitoring; and financial reporting as required
- Identify and pursue available income-generating opportunities in consultation with the board
- Develop and maintain strong and effective relationships with all key stakeholder groups, acting as the public speaker and public relations representative of SEO-Vietnam as required.
- Undertake other duties as directed.
Compensation: Approximately 20 million VND per month, depending on individual background and experience
- Understanding of community development principles and practices, and leadership development programs and processes
- At least two years of experience in a coaching or mentoring role and/or in volunteer management
- At least two years of managerial experience, including at least two of these areas: strategic planning, operational management, program development, fundraising or financial management, external relations
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, emotional maturity and proven ability in influencing and negotiation
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage diverse stakeholder relationships
- Result-oriented, yet committed to inclusive processes and ongoing learning
- Proficient in written and spoken English and Vietnamese languages
- Willingness to be based in Ho Chi Minh City
- Experience in managing a non-profit organization is preferred