[Disability-vn] DRD News in Oct 2015

Phụng Huỳnh Kim kimphung at drdvietnam.com
Tue Nov 10 16:18:28 ICT 2015

Dear colleagues and friends,

First of all, we would like to send you our warmest greeting from
Disability Research and Capacity Development (DRD).

We are honor to send you our newsletter. To download a full pdf version
please click on the link. Please feel free to forward this to your network.

Best regards,

[image: header]
DISABILITY RESEARCH AND CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT NEWSLETTER OCTOBER 2015
*>>Download
full version*
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/images/baiviet/An%20Pham/2015.10.DRDNewsletter.pdf>

[image: introduction]

Established on 03/12/2005, DRD is a non-governmental and non-profit
organization working for the rights of PWDsand operated by people with
disabilities (PWDs).

DRD and the community are building a support model based on the rights of
PWDs in an effort to foster equal opportunities for PWDs, encourage and
create favorable conditions for PWDs to participate fully in all activities
like other members in society.

Kind Regards

[image: Activities]

*1. DRD receives help from the American Government*

On October 27, 2015, the United States Agency for International Development
(USAID) announced the launch of six new projects to support people with
disabilities in Vietnam.

The main objectives of these projects are to help improve the health,
promote social inclusion as well as the rights of peoples with disabilities
(PWD). This includes support to implement the Convention of the United
Nations regarding the rights of PWD, to strengthen the coordination and
implementation of the Law on PWD in Vietnam, to improve the system of
rehabilitation services and provide direct assistance to PWD in the fields
of physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy.

Thanks to its 10 years of experience in the field of supporting PWD, the
Disability Research and Capacity Development Center (DRD) was one of the
recipients of this support from the US Government to implement the project
“Reach integration of people with disabilities” in Binh Dinh and Tay Ninh
provinces during the period 2015-2017. >>Read more
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/17259-drd-receives-help-from-the-american-government.html>

*2. First working meeting of the project “ Reach integration of people with
disabilities” in Tay Ninh*

On October 15, 2015, the Disability Research and Capacity Development
Center (DRD) participated in a meeting in the office of the Department of
Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs of Tay Ninh Province. The participants
were Mr. Nguyen Van Qua – Vice-president of the Department of Labor,
Invalids and Social Affairs of Tay Ninh Province; Mr. Duong Van Sau –
Vice-president of the Department of Education and Training; Mrs. Duong Thi
Thu Hien – Chairwoman of the Tay Ninh Union of Science and Technology; and
representatives of different other services. The purpose of this meeting
was to discuss about the feasibility of the project “Reach integration of
people with disabilities” – a project that DRD would like to realize in Tay
Ninh. The objectives of this project are: - 1/Raise awareness about
disability to the members of society and people with disabilities (PWD)
themselves to promote the rights of PWD and to help build the foundation
for a disability-friendly environment in the future. - 2/Improve
accessibility to enhance rights of PWD in the use of social services so
they can fully access and contribute to society like people without
disabilities. - 3/Capacity building for non-profit organizations working
with PWD in the province so they become effective and sustainable and can
contribute to the movement for PWD in the country. >>Read more
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/17240-first-working-meeting-of-the-project-%E2%80%9C-reach-integration-of-people-with-disabilities%E2%80%9D-in-tay-ninh.html>

*Highlights:*

*3. Training for Lecturers: Equality and Integration for People with
Disabilities*

*List of Donors*

*1forchange campaign*

*Sep & Oct 2015*

*---*

1. Ms Mỹ Hằng - 10,000,000 VNĐ

2. Ms Lê Thiên Hương - 500,000 VNĐ

3. Ms Thảo - 5,000,000 VNĐ

4. Ms Bùi Thị Lệ - 50,000 VNĐ

5. Mr Đặng Hữu Nguyên - 100,000 VNĐ

6. Mr Hồ Huy Sơn - 200,000 VNĐ

7. Mr Ivan Khánh - 100,000 VNĐ

>From September 28, 2015 to October 2, 2015, DRD and with the International
Labour Organization offered a training course about equality and
integration for people with disabilities. Dr. Maureen Gilbert led the
course. The content was professional and scientifically designed to make
sure every participant understood the most basic issues others after 5
participating days. Participants of the training are lecturers from
universities and delegates form organizations of people with disabilities
in Hanoi and Cantho. >>Read more
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/17219-training-for-lecturers--equality-and-integration-for-people-with-disabilities.html>

*4. Strengthening the Capacity of the Association of Disability Rights*

>From October 12– 16, 2015, a training session titled “Strengthening the
Capacity of the PWD organization ‘Association of Disability Rights’” in
Hanoi was held. The event was held at the Hanoi Club Hotel No. 76 Yen Phu
Street, Tay Ho District, Hanoi.

This training course belong to the ongoing project titled “Implementation
of the rights of people with disabilities”, by the Mobility International
USA (MIUSA) and the Center for Action to the Community Development Center
(ACDC), designed to promote the implementation and monitoring of rights for
people with disabilities in Vietnam. >> Read more
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/17238-strengthening-the-capacity-of-the-association-of-disability-rights.html>

*5. Topic “Quotations and life”*

On September 20, 2015, at the Disability Research and Capacity Development
Center - DRD, the Independent Living project organized a meeting on this
topic with the participation of 20 people with disabilities under the
support of the Nippon Foundation and the Human Care Association Japan. It
was an opportunity to help the participants to share successes and
failures, meaningful lessons for their life. It also was the occasion for
everyone to recognize their own problems. >>Read more
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/17253-topic-%E2%80%9Cquotations-and-life%E2%80%9D.html>

*6. Project of improving manual wheelchair of Global Equipment Services
Company*

On October 22, 2015, at the Disability Research and Capacity Development
Center (DRD), representatives of DRD had a meeting with the management of
the project as well as the engineers of Global Equipment Services Company
(GES) under the High Tech Park of District 9. GES is specialized in
semiconductor products and technologies. GES will soon implement a project
to improve wheelchairs. This is a non-profit project of the company under
its social responsibility program. GES will first focus on manual
wheelchairs and if it is successful, the company will extend the project to
electric wheelchairs. >> Read more
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/17241-project-of-improving-manual-wheelchair-of-global-equipment-services-company.html>

*1. Obstacles prevent necessary treatment of autistic children*

Misperception, lack of early detection and low awareness of parents are the
main obstacles that hinder the social integration of autistic children in
Viet Nam, experts said at a recent seminar on autism in Ha Noi.

Speaking at the seminar, which was part of an event held on Sunday for 300
families with autistic children to interact and discover, health experts
said that the biggest challenge in tackling autism was the limited
understanding of autism spectrum disorders.

Autism was often perceived as sickness and a ‘domestic problem' rather than
a long-term developmental disability which needs support from the
government, they said.

The experts also said it was difficult to access services for early
detection, early intervention and social inclusion due to lack of services,
low awareness of people and discrimination.

Many parents were unaware of the signs of autism to take early action;
development screening has not been incorporated into routine care for young
children. In addition, intervention services for children were insufficient
and exceed the affordability of many families, they said.

Dr Nguyen Thanh Mai, a pediatrics lecturer of Ha Noi Medical University,
said in the courses for doctors, her university had recently added to the
curriculum the content related to examination and diagnostics to detect
early signs of autism.

However, doctors in remote and disadvantaged areas did not often have
opportunities to update knowledge on this issue, she added. >>Read more
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-bon-phuong/17244-obstacles-prevent-necessary-treatment-of-autistic-children.html>

*2. VN disabled couples get dream wedding in HCMC*

Nguyen Hoang Linh and Truong Thi Diem Phuong, a visually impaired couple
from Binh Duong Province, had their dream wedding after 17 years of living
together.

The couple work as lottery vendors and have two children.

"Because of poverty, we could never dream of having a wedding," Phuong
said, crying.

Tu and Phuong finally got their wish when the HCM City Association for
Support of People with Disabilities on October 20 held a group wedding.

Forty couples were married at the Him Lam Palace in the city's Go Vap
District.

Ten of the couples are visually impaired and the others use wheelchairs
because of various kinds of physical disability.

Most of them work as lottery vendors or at centres that support the
disabled.

The couples were provided wedding dresses, suits and ao dai, wedding rings,
flowers, photography services, a wedding feast and gifts donated by
sponsors.

The organiser also offered each couple VND7 million ($340) to help them
start a business or new life. >>Read more
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-bon-phuong/17246-vn-disabled-couples-get-dream-wedding-in-hcmc.html>

*1. DRD's employment news in October*

1.1. Job seekers with disabilities: From January 2015 to present,
Employment Department of DRD approached 247 people with disabilities who
were looking for the job. Particularly, on this October 2015, there were 15
job seekers with disabilities and among these number, 2 people with
disabilities introduced jobs at company with these positions: polish and
ticket plane seller.

1.2. Recruitment employers: From January 2015 to present, Employment
Department of DRD built networking with over 67 employers. From October
2015, there were 7 enterprises initially registered recruiting people with
disabilities to work including accountant, cashier, sale person, packing
designer, customer service, leather garment.

*2. Recruiting People With Disabilities For Positions at Convenient Stores*

2.1. Sales officer

*Location:* Him Lam apartment, District 6, HCMC

*Quantity:* 02 people (Priority to males)

*Job descriptions:*

Display goods and clean up counters

Restock counters and shelves

Check goods to make sure the quantity and quality follow store standards

Have knowledge about the products

Answer questions of the customers

2.2. Accounting/Cashier

*Location:* District 12, HCMC

*Quantity:* 02 (Female or Male)

*Job descriptions:*

Welcome the customers; guide wholeheartedly; consult and answer the
questions of customers about goods, products and services at store

Operate cash register

Maintain a professional standard when dealing with customers

Report the turnover of the store to the manager

Keep the area of the cash counter tidy

Work as a team with coworkers

2.3. Connection Analyst Intern

*Location:* Pasteur Street, Ward 6, District 3, HCMC

*Quantity:* 02 people (Priority to males)

*Time working:* Following shift and flexible hours (to be able to work at
night)

*Job requirements:*

Proficient in English, especially speaking and writing skills

Familiar with tools that support the making of. CHM files/ Mastering
Microsoft Office

Able to work solo or as part of a team

Can work under high pressure

Analytical and strong troubleshooting skills

Able to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment

Working knowledge of Windows XP and Microsoft Office required

*Job descriptions:*

Resolve technical issue/errors related to DiCentral web services

Work with EDI mapping in upgrading EDI maps

Track support inquires through the support CRM insuring the customer issue
is resolved

*3. Follow up on unacknowledged transactions*

Set-up and maintain EDI trading partner relationship as needed

Any other duties as assigned by supervisor

Employment Department – Disability Research and Capacity Development (DRD)

Address: 311K8 Street 7, Thu Thiem Resettlement, An Phu Ward, District 2,
HCMC, Vietnam

Telephone: (84-8) 62 67 99 22 (Ext: 113 or 114) (ask for Ms. Quyen or Ms.
Rat)

Email: vieclam at drdvietnam.com

--
Huỳnh Kim Phụng