[Disability-vn] DISABILITY RESEARCH AND CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT - NEWSLETTER JULY 2017

Phụng Huỳnh Kim kimphung at drdvietnam.com
Mon Aug 7 16:31:53 ICT 2017

It’s our honor and happiness to be with you through our Newsletter.

Respectfully,

DRD team

[image: header bản tin]
DISABILITY RESEARCH AND CAPACITY DEVELOPMENTNEWSLETTER JULY 2017*>>Download
full version*
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/images/baiviet/An%20Pham/2017.07.Newsletter.pdf>

[image: introduction]

Disability Research and Capacity Development (DRD) was established on
December 3rd, 2005 under the sponsorship of the Ford Foundation. DRD
functions as a non-governmental and non-profit organization and is operated
by and for people with disabilities.

DRD works alongside the community to create support models that promote the
rights of people living with disabilities. Members of this community desire
equal opportunities and the chance to be encouraged to fully participate in
social activities, just as the other members of the society do.

DRD has run many projects and has helped over 3,500 people with
disabilities in Ho Chi Minh City and over 30 groups of people with
disabilities in Southern Vietnam. DRD has assisted with a variety of
activities such as internship recommendations, jobs, skill trainings, means
of transportation, scholarships, computer skills, self-advocacy skills,
information consultancy, peer counselling, workshops, and events aiming to
raise public awareness of disability issues. DRD is considered one of the
20 most successful nongovernmental organizations in Vietnam and is the
number one organization in the field of supporting people with disabilities
and promoting their social inclusion.

Kind Regards

[image: Activities]

*1. Training on awareness and PWDs support skill for Hoa Sen University
students*

On 18th July 2017, in the classroom of Hoa Sen University, Disability
Research and Capacity Development (DRD) together with Service-Learning
Center, Hoa Sen University and Psychology Master Ms. Nguyen Thi Ngoc Giau
of Faculty of General Education organized one-day training program for
about 15 students in the psychology group "Inside me" of Ms. Ngoc Giau.
This is considered a very practical and meaningful activity for students of
Hoa Sen University to find out the difficulties of people with
disabilities, thereby knowing how to support people with disabilities more
effectively.

The way to push the wheelchair to the stairs.

During the morning training, Ms. Luu Thi Anh Loan - Acting Director of DRD
provided useful information around the topic of "Disability Equality”. In
this session, Ms. Loan asks many questions and situations related to the
disability, most students still didn’t understand and were hesitant in
dealing with people with disabilities. When being asked "What disability
can people engage in?" and many students said that "People with a
disabilities apart from office job, they cannot participate in other
activities." After seeing a short film about woman with disabilities in
China doing all sorts of activities like being a person without disability,
the students have a more positive outlook on people with disabilities and
change their mind. [image: Readmore]
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/18138-training-on-awareness-and-pwds-support-skill-for-hoa-sen-university-students.html>

*2. Truong Minh Service – Trading joint stock Company creates favorable
conditions for employees with disabilities*

On July 8 , 2017, DRD, in collaboration with Truong Minh Co., successfully
held a meeting for PWD interested to work as operator in Customer care
services for big service providers such as Vinaphone, Mobifone and Viettel.

With the enthused support from the managers and staff of the company, this
meeting also introduced opportunities to many PWD, especially those with
visual impairment, to access this job.

*PWD visiting the company*

The activities that were and are being provided to workers with
disabilities by the company may appear small, but actually they are
important supports for the career of PWD that need to be understood and
facilitated by the employer. Some of the main supports are:

- Parking places right in front of the company for the users of tricycles.

- Allowing PWD to work according to a fixed shift instead of rotating
shifts like other workers.

- Formal certificates are not compulsory for workers with disabilities. As
long as they have good communication and computer skills, the company will
give training and provide stable jobs. [image: Readmore]
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/18144-truong-minh-service-%E2%80%93-trading-joint-stock-company-creates-favorable-conditions-for-employees--with-disabilities.html>

*3. Training course on Laws and Policies to Support People with
Disabilities on July 12, 2017*

On July 12, 2017, 56 people with disabilities, who live in Ben Cau
district, Tay Ninh province, attended a training course on Law and
Disability Support Policy of the project “Accessibility for inclusion for
People with Disabilities”. The event was organized by the Disability
Research And Capacity Development (DRD), in collaboration with the Labor
and Social Welfare Department of Ben Cau district, and sponsored by the
United States Agency for International Development (USAID).

[image: Giải đáp thắc mắc 1]

*Picture: The trainer presented the Law and Policy for People with
disabilities in Tay Ninh Province.*

This training has two objectives:

The first goal is to help people with disabilities understand their rights
in the areas in which the law takes effect. For this purpose, the content
shared during the training was: Disability and disability level; Social
Protection; Health care; Vocational training, employment and labor;
Education; Social activities and access to and use of public transport
works; and information and communications technology.

The second objective is to provide counseling and education for PWDs about
their rights. For this purpose, the trainers devoted a quarter of the
program time to answer and explain the questions related to PWDs, such as
how to properly identify the disability level, the monthly social
allowances are suitable with the disability level and the rule of law or
not, the use of health insurance cards for medical treatment and health
care, tuition exemption and reduction, public access and public transport
regulations. [image: Readmore]
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/18142-training-course-on-laws-and-policies-to-support-people-with-disabilities-on-july-12-2017.html>

*Highlights:*

*4. Group meeting of the “Scholarship & Mentoring” program*

On September 9th 2017, the members of the Scholarship & Mentoring program
had a group meeting at the Disability Research and Capacity Development
center (DRD) with the participation of 14 students with disabilities who
were receiving DRD’s scholarship. This activity was aimed to help those
students (especially the new members) to understand their rights and
responsibilities, the policy of the group as well as allow them to discuss
the 6-month plan for their activities. [image: Readmore]
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/18143-group-meeting-of-the-%E2%80%9Cscholarship--mentoring%E2%80%9D-program.html>

*5. Seminar: "What do you understand about breast cancer?"*

On Sunday, June 25th, 2017, Disability Research And Capacity Development
(DRD), in collaboration with the Breast Cancer Network Vietnam (BCNV [1]),
organized a seminar named "What do you understand about breast cancer?",
under the guidance of Dr. Bui Sy Nghia - BCNV professional adviser from the
Danang Cancer Hospital. [image: Readmore]
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/18109-seminar--what-do-you-understand-about-breast-cancer.html>

*6. Workshop on Gender and Disability*

On June 22nd 2017, under the project “Accessibility for Inclusion”, the
Disability Research and Capacity Development (DRD) organized a workshop
named “Gender and Disability” with the participation of over 60 people with
disabilities from Tuy Phuoc, Binh Dinh. [image: Readmore]
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/18125-workshop-on-gender-and-disability.html>

*7. Workshop on Equality and Inclusion for People with Disabilities*

Within the framework of the Disability Accessibility Project, on June 21,
2017, the Center for Disability and Development (DRD) organized a one-day
workshop on "Equality and Integration" for nearly 60 people with
disabilities in Phu Cat District, Binh Dinh Province. This is an important
activity that meets the Objective 1 of Project: Raising awareness of the
community and people with disabilities on the rights of people with
disabilities, especially mentioning the right to access public facilities,
the workshop was conducted through the permission of Binh Dinh Department
of Labor and Social Welfare and the support of the Department of Labor, War
Invalids and Social Affairs of Phu Cat District. [image: Readmore]
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/18124-workshop-on-equality-and-inclusion-for-people-with-disabilities.html>

*8. Scholarship Report*

As a (scholar) recipient of DRD’s scholarship, I am truly happy and proud,
for living expenses have always been a (serious) heavy burden to many
students, particularly myself. I am a student with physical disability and
spinal curvature, using a wheelchair as a means of transport. I cannot take
care of myself without my mother. At the beginning of my study at the
university, I did not believe I could hold on to this journey. I saw
challenges waiting for me and felt like I had not got enough confidence and
self-belief to overcome them. However, since I was awarded with this
scholarship, I have become more confident and optimistic with a stronger
belief in the future. I have received DRD’s scholarship for 2 years now. It
has helped me with my tuition fee and living expenses, lessening my
family’s financial burden. [image: Readmore]
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/18123-scholarship-report.html>

*9. Upcoming calendar.*

- Training on Accessibility Survey skill based on 10/2014 standard for PWDs
in Chau Thanh District, Tay Ninh Province on 4/8/2017.

- Training on CV writing and interview skill for PWDs on 19/8/2017.

- Workshop "Access bus for PWDs" on 22/9/2017 in HCMC.

*10. List of donors JULY 2017*

- Ms Đỗ Thị Thu Hồng supports Shoolarship 1.000.000 đ— 05/7/2017

- The music show “Về đâu mái tóc người thương” supports the project
Motobike 4.400.000 đ—25/6

- The Breast Cancer Network Vietnam supports 1forchange campaign 3.000.000
đ—25/6/2017

- Ms Đỗ Thị Thu Hồng supports Shoolarship 1.000.000 đ— 05/6/2017

- The music show "Cho đời chút ơi" supports the project Motobike Taxi
6,300,000 -20/5/2017

- Ms Hương and Mr Sơn supports 1forchange campaign 180.000 đ—21/4/2017

- Ms Đỗ Thị Thu Hồng supports Shoolarship was 1.000.000 đ—19/4/2017

*Aikido instructor connects disabled children with life*

*[image: vo sư]*

*Lesson in optimism: Aikido martial arts instructor Nguyễn Thị Thanh Loan
in a class in HCM City. — VNS Photo Xuân Dự*
Nguyễn Thị Thanh Loan is an expert in the martial art of Aikido. For more
than a decade she has held classes for disabled kids in HCM City, bringing
hope and friendship to often lonely youngsters. Nguyễn Xuân Dự reports.

Nguyễn Thị Thanh Loan, born in 1947 in the southern province of Long An,
started learning Aikido – a modern Japanese martial art, when she was 11.
Almost ten years later, she became one of the two first Vietnamese women to
earn the internationally-recognised Shodan black belt.

She has trained generations of Aikido learners in Việt Nam, especially
children.

In the last 12 years, she has become better known as a martial arts
instructor of children with disabilities in HCM City.

Loan said that the first Aikido class for children with disabilities was
opened at the Kỳ Đồng Swimming Club in HCM City’s District 3 in 2005 when
the city’s Sports Department established the Martial Arts Association for
people with disabilities.

There were about 20 visually impaired children in the Aikido class.

“It was a new challenge for me at that time because teaching Aikido to
normal children is difficult but it is more difficult to teach those with
disabilities,” she said.
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-bon-phuong/18140-aikido-instructor-connects-disabled-children-with-life.html>

--
Huỳnh Kim Phụng