[Disability-vn] [DRD VIETNAM] NEWSLETTER APRIL 2018

Thanh Phương Nguyễn Võ thanhphuong at drdvietnam.com
Fri Apr 27 14:53:33 +07 2018

Dear colleagues, partners and friends,

We would like to send our DRD newsletter, sharing our activities in
collaboration with DPOs and local government.

Enjoy your reading, and feel free to contact us.

Thank you a lot.

Sincerely.

[image: header bản tin]
DISABILITY RESEARCH AND CAPACITY DEVELOPMENTNEWSLETTER APRIL 2018*>>Download
full version*
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/images/baiviet/An%20Pham/2018.04.Newsletter.pdf>

[image: introduction]

Disability Research and Capacity Development (DRD) was established on
December 3rd, 2005 under the sponsorship of the Ford Foundation. DRD
functions as a non-governmental and non-profit organization and is operated
by and for people with disabilities.

DRD works alongside the community to create support models that promote the
rights of people living with disabilities. Members of this community desire
equal opportunities and the chance to be encouraged to fully participate in
social activities, just as the other members of the society do.

DRD has run many projects and has helped over 3,500 people with
disabilities in Ho Chi Minh City and over 30 groups of people with
disabilities in Southern Vietnam. DRD has assisted with a variety of
activities such as internship recommendations, jobs, skill trainings, means
of transportation, scholarships, computer skills, self-advocacy skills,
information consultancy, peer counselling, workshops, and events aiming to
raise public awareness of disability issues. DRD is considered one of the
20 most successful nongovernmental organizations in Vietnam and is the
number one organization in the field of supporting people with disabilities
and promoting their social inclusion.

Kind Regards

[image: Activities]

*1. Launch of legal counsel services for people with disabilities*

In the morning of 20 April 2018, in the celebration of Vietnam National Day
of People with Disabilities 18 April, Disability Research and Capacity
Development (DRD) held the official launch of legal counsel services for
people with disabilities in the presence of Mr. Nguyen Van Cu – DRD’s Vice
Director, Ms. Truong Thi Hoa – Truong Thi Hoa Law Office, Mr. Dang Duc Tri
– Director at Rome Law Firm, Mr. Hua Minh Tam – representative of Vietnam
Fatherland Front, representatives from other social organizations and
people with disabilities, including the blind, the deaf and people with
physical disabilities.

*[image: Ký kết thỏa thuận hợp tác]*

To begin, Mr. Nguyen Van Cu gave an overview of the legal counsel services
aiming to meet the demand for law consultation among people with
disabilities. Up to date, there are 7 million people with disabilities in
Vietnam, only 0.1 percent of which go to colleges or universities, making
it a huge barrier for their exposure to legal updates. The legal counsel
services were introduced to mitigate the barrier because only with adequate
legal knowledge are people with disabilities able to execute their rights
and fulfill their duties. [image: Readmore]
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/18413-launch-of-legal-counsel-services-for-people-with-disabilities.html>

*2. Training Course for communicators in Tay Ninh province from 9 to 11
april, 2018 – training course from the hearts*

>From 9 to 11 April, 2018, DRD held training on communication skill for 34
communicators in Tay Ninh Province to provide communication knowledge and
build their advocacy capacity for people with disabilities (PWDs) who
participate PWD’s Club.

*[image: CTVTT01]*

Through 3 training days, communicators gained disability knowledge, PWD’s
barriers, support modeling, communicator’s role in behavior change,
advantanges and respponsibility when participating the club. Besides,
communicators pratised to make a plan and try to advocate PWDs
participating PWD’s Club. [image: Readmore]
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/18402-training-course-for-communicators-in-tay-ninh-province-from-9-to-11-april-2018-%E2%80%93-training-course-from-the-hearts.html>

*3. Assessment on Ham Nghi bus stop (District 1) April 15, 2018*

At 7:30 am on 18 April 2018, DRD scholarship group arrived and started
their assessment on the bus station of Ham Nghi (District 1, Ho Chi Minh
City) regarding their disabled-accessibility. This new bus station is to
serve travelers in central Saigon, officially launched in replacement for
Ben Thanh bus station during the construction of Metro 1 underground train
station.

*[image: Người khuyết tật đi xe buýt]*

*Wheelchair users can move on their own*

The assessors were divided into 3 sub-groups, each of which was responsible
for one of the following: bus waiting areas, restrooms, and buses

The assessors of waiting areas went along the lines of the station to
observe the slopes and assessed their pitches by wheelchairs and rulers. It
was concluded that people with disabilities including wheelchair users
could get into the station without external help. [image: Readmore]
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/18412-assessment-on-ham-nghi-bus-stop-district-1-april-15-2018.html>

*4. Turns out love is not difficult and peace is so simple*

The course Mindfulness – based Transformation (MT61 - 7, 8, 9 April 2018)
was an unforgettable experience to me. I was occupied by the same feelings
throughout the course – the feelings that had been long buried and were
only realized at the end of the 3-day course.

*Photo: Lê Thị Lệ Quyên (first one from the left) was taking a photo with
her fellows*

3 days was too short of a time but I felt like I received a lot. I came to
the realization that I had missed many things in my life, things that were
seemingly familiar and so often taken for granted, things that I had never
spent a second to appreciate. I got a chance to meet many people and listen
to their stories, which enlightened me that every one of us had a story, a
dark melancholy piece of memories we wanted to keep for ourselves. On
turning out, I was not the only one to suffer. Your story became so trivial
in the comparison of the vast variety of others’. [image: Readmore]
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-hoat-dong/18420-turns-out-love-is-not-difficult-and-peace-is-so-simple.html>

*A teacher, “a bright crescent moon”, realises her dream upon her return to
Vietnam after her PhD degree in Australia*
Dr Vo Thi Hoang Yen is founder cum director of the Disability Resources and
Development (DRD), and a lecturer at the Ho Chi Minh City Open University.
“How she can have seemingly endless time, energy and enthusiasm to work and
contribute to the society?” is a common question raised in admiration by
her friends, colleagues, and students. In an interview with Education and
Times Newspaper, Hoang Yen shared her desire, plans, and expectations after
completing a PhD program under an Australia Awards Scholarship.

*[image: Chị Yến 01]*

*Dr Vo Thi Hoang Yen and other students at their graduation ceremony*

*- As you have just finished a PhD program under an Australia Awards
Scholarship and returned to Vietnam, could you please share with us your
feelings upon this occasion?*

* I’ve just returned to Vietnam. I am re-arranging my work at the DRD and
preparing for a long business trip. Thus, it is difficult to feel deeply
about my surroundings at the present time. On the way from home to the
office, I see new construction. In social organization networks, I see
colleagues actively participating in and sharing their opinions at
workshops on social issues or exchanging their experiences in social work.
In addition, there are more young colleagues who are participating in
social work clubs!
<http://www.drdvietnam.org/tin-bon-phuong/18404-a-teacher-%E2%80%9Ca-bright-crescent-moon%E2%80%9D-realises-her-dream-upon-her-return-to-vietnam-after-her-phd-degree-in-australia.html>

--
*NGUYỄN VÕ THANH PHƯƠNG*
*PR & Communication Officer*

*Add:* 311K8 No.7 Street, Thu Thiem Resettlement Area, An Phu Ward,
District 2, HCMC
*Tel: *(84-8) 6 267 9911 (Ext 131)
*Cellphone:* 0903 033 601
*Email:* thanhphuong at drdvietnam.com