[Ngo-lwg] UXO-focused ASEAN meeting in Vietnam June 18th

Chuck Searcy chuckusvn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 17:06:50 BST 2014

This item was contained in the news summaries circulated by the NGO
Resource Center.  The article is quite dated, published on 06 June *before*
the meeting was held on 18 June.

Did anyone in the LWG attend the meeting on the 18th, and if so, is there a
report available?  If not, we should request one from MND.  Apparently, an
action plan for 2014 - 2017 was to be presented.  If such a plan has any
impact on our NGO strategies, plans, and activities, we should certainly
know about it.

CHUCK

*CHUCK SEARCY*

*Veterans For Peace*

*Project RENEW*

*M    +8 490 342 0769*

*E     chuckusvn at gmail.com <chuckusvn at gmail.com>*

*Sk   chucksearcy*

*Vietnam-Plus*
<http://en.vietnamplus.vn/Home/UXOfocused-ASEAN-meeting-to-open-in-Vietnam/20146/51441.vnplus>

*UXO-focused ASEAN meeting to open in Vietnam*
 12/06/2014 | 21:00:54

The first meeting of the Asian Defence Ministers Meeting (ADMM)-Plus
Experts' Working Group on Humanitarian Mine Action (EWG on HMA) will be
held in Hanoi on June 18, focusing on evaluating the challenges and
consequences caused by bombs and mines left over from wars and conflicts in
ASEAN countries and others.

The main agenda of the event were announced by the General Politics
Department of the Vietnam People's Army at a June 12 press conference in
Hanoi.

Vietnam and India will co-chair the event. Earlier, they prepared an action
plan for the working group between 2014 and 2017, approved by the ASEAN
Defence Senior Officials' Meeting Plus (ADSOM+) in late April.

The detailed content of the action plan will be presented at the scheduled
event.

The meeting aims to further boost military cooperation between Asian
Defence Ministers' Meeting Plus (ADMM+) members in clearing unexploded
ordnance dropped during wars, based on the ratified plan, in addition to
seeking cooperation opportunities in the work.

It will help raise stakeholders' awareness of risks and challenges posed by
leftover bombs and mines as well as the international community's
responsibility for surmounting the bomb and mine aftermaths.

Vietnamese representatives are scheduled to deliver a report on the
country's pollution by unexploded bombs and mines and put forth some
solutions to overcome the consequences.-VNA