[Ngo-lwg] Speech by Assistant Secretary Puneet Talwar

Jonathon Guthrie jonathong at npaid.org
Mon Jan 26 03:21:32 GMT 2015

Dear all,
Here is the link to the speech made by visiting Assistant Secretary Puneet Talwar, Bureau of Political and Military Affairs. MAG, NPA PTVN and GWHF were lucky enough to meet with him prior to delivering the speech, to share experiences, concerns and advice from the NGO perspective.
http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/st/english/texttrans/2015/01/20150123313125.html#axzz3PtDDVlkW
Just to highlight the section on UXO Clearance:
"We've also taken action to alleviate the humanitarian impacts of unexploded ordnance. Cluster munitions and other leftover remnants of war remain a humanitarian concern because they continue to endanger innocent men, women, and particularly children, long after soldiers have laid down their arms. Without a moment's notice, these weapons can end or alter a life forever.

So our objective is clear. We want to see a Vietnam that is free from the impact of unexploded ordnance, period. And although this won't happen overnight, with sustained focus and sustained investment, this is a goal we are committed to reaching.

That's why, since 1993, even before we restored diplomatic ties, the United States began helping to remove unexploded ordnance from Vietnam. We are by far the largest international donor to this effort, and I just met with some of our NGO partners here in Vietnam who are working every day to implement these efforts on the ground. This year, the United States has more than doubled our financial commitment to Vietnam, with a special focus on Quang Tri Province. And next year, we expect to increase funding even more. In the United States, this work is supported across the political spectrum, because it's the right thing to do.

Our efforts are far from finished, but by uprooting and disarming these deadly remnants of war, we are sowing a safer future for all Vietnamese."

Yours sincerely

Jonathon (Gus) Guthrie
Country Director
[200-Logo_75-English-RGB.jpg]