[Ngo-sanrm] Fw: GMW: Glyphosate contributes to modern disease - new paper

Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources Management Working Group ngo-sanrm at ngocentre.org.vn
Fri Apr 19 07:52:11 ICT 2013

===============================
Chuck Palazzo
Agent Orange Action Group
http://aoag.org/
Hoa Binh Chapter, Veterans For Peace
http://vfp-vn.ning.com/

chuck_pal at yahoo.com
================================

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: GMWatch <editor at gmwatch.eu>
To: Chuck <chuck_pal at yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:45 PM
Subject: GMW: Glyphosate contributes to modern disease - new paper

NOTE: According to a new peer-reviewed review of the scientific literature, it's likely that glyphosate-based herbicides are contributing to the modern diseases that are reaching epidemic proportions in recent decades. The paper suggests mechanisms through which this may be happening.

The paper gives good arguments why it's vital to oppose the recent capitulation by UK supermarkets to accepting products from animals raised on GM feed.
---
---
Glyphosate’s Suppression of Cytochrome P450 Enzymes and Amino Acid Biosynthesis by the Gut Microbiome: Pathways to Modern Diseases
Anthony Samsel and Stephanie Seneff
Entropy 2013, 15(4), 1416-1463; doi:10.3390/e15041416
Open access: http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/15/4/1416

Abstract:
Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup®, is the most popular herbicide used worldwide. The industry asserts it is minimally toxic to humans, but here we argue otherwise. Residues are found in the main foods of the Western diet, comprised primarily of sugar, corn, soy and wheat. Glyphosate's inhibition of cytochrome P450 (CYP) enzymes is an overlooked component of its toxicity to mammals. CYP enzymes play crucial roles in biology, one of which is to detoxify xenobiotics. Thus, glyphosate enhances the damaging effects of other food borne chemical residues and environmental toxins. Negative impact on the body is insidious and manifests slowly over time as inflammation damages cellular systems throughout the body. Here, we show how interference with CYP enzymes acts synergistically with disruption of the biosynthesis of aromatic amino acids by gut bacteria, as well as impairment in serum sulfate transport. Consequences are most of the diseases and
 conditions associated with a Western diet, which include gastrointestinal disorders, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, depression, autism, infertility, cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. We explain the documented effects of glyphosate and its ability to induce disease, and we show that glyphosate is the “textbook example” of exogenous semiotic entropy: the disruption of homeostasis by environmental toxins.

Conclusion:
This paper presents an exhaustive review of the toxic effects of the herbicide, glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup®, in humans, and demonstrates how glyphosate’s adverse effects on the gut microbiota, in conjunction with its established ability to inhibit the activity of cytochrome P450 enzymes, and its likely impairment of sulfate transport, can remarkably explain a great number of the diseases and conditions that are prevalent in the modern industrialized world. Its effects are insidious, because the long-term effects are often not immediately apparent. The pathologies to which glyphosate could plausibly contribute, through its known biosemiotic effects, include inflammatory bowel disease, obesity, depression, ADHD, autism, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, ALS, multiple sclerosis, cancer, cachexia, infertility, and developmental malformations. Glyphosate works synergistically with other factors, such as insufficient sun
 exposure, dietary deficiencies in critical nutrients such as sulfur and zinc, and synergistic exposure to other xenobiotics whose detoxification is impaired by glyphosate. Given the known toxic effects of glyphosate reviewed here and the plausibility that they are negatively impacting health worldwide, it is imperative for more independent research to take place to validate the ideas presented here, and to take immediate action, if they are verified, to drastically curtail the use of glyphosate in agriculture. Glyphosate is likely to be pervasive in our food supply, and, contrary to being essentially nontoxic, it may in fact be the most biologically disruptive chemical in our environment.

Forward this email to a friend:
http://us6.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=29cbc7e6c21e0a8fd2a82aeb8&id=6388a26825&e=c2b8c1cdef

Update your profile:
http://gmwatch.us6.list-manage.com/profile?u=29cbc7e6c21e0a8fd2a82aeb8&id=151eeeb338&e=c2b8c1cdef