[Ngo-sanrm] [VIN] A Vietnamese community bounces back with urban agriculture

Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources Management Working Group ngo-sanrm at ngocentre.org.vn
Mon Jun 24 21:15:01 BST 2013

There is a critical point of the story that the newspaper mentioned only in
a word.   That is, the Vietnamese community in East New Orlean is 100%
Catholic.  It is a parish by itself, and everyone lives around the church.
It is a close-knit community, with strong unity.  That makes all things
possible.

In the corporate name Mary Queen of Vietnam  Development, Queen Mary is
mother of Jesus.

Hoanh

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 3:59 AM, Thu Hương Phạm
<phamthuhuong1010 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear anh Chuck,
>
> I agree with you. The resilience of the Vietnamese is so strong. I feel
> glad when after disasters, now their life is developing and peaceful.
>
> Thank you for sharing.
>
> Have a good day anh Chuck and everyone,
> Em Hương,
>

> 2013/6/24 Chuck Searcy <chuckusvn at gmail.com>
>
>> This shows the resilience of the Vietnamese, and the community's ability
>> to adapt and embrace new and innovative agriculture (and aquaculture)
>> opportunities.  -- CHUCK
>>
>> *============================
>> CHUCK SEARCY
>> 71 Tran Quoc Toan, Hanoi, Vietnam
>> Mobile:      +84 (0) 903 420 769
>> Email:         chuckusvn at gmail.com
>> Skype:        chucksearcy
>> ============================*
>>

>> http://grist.org/food/in-new-orleans-a-vietnamese-community-bounces-back-with-urban-agriculture/
>>  In New Orleans, a Vietnamese community bounces back with urban
>> agriculture
>>
>> By Jared Green <http://grist.org/author/jared-green/>
>>
>> Cross-posted from The Dirt<http://dirt.asla.org/2013/06/10/in-new-orleans-a-vietnamese-community-bounces-back-with-urban-agriculture/>
>> [image: vietfarmers]Mary Queen of Vietnam Development Corporation
>>
>> In 1975, after the fall of Saigon, many of the Christian Vietnamese who
>> supported the U.S.-allied government in the south fled. Some ended up in
>> camps in the Midwestern U.S., at least until the Archdiocese of New Orleans
>> invited them to come to the Gulf of Mexico, where the climate was more like
>> what they were used to in Vietnam. Many of the Vietnamese were also
>> fisherman, so the Roman Catholic church thought they’d have a better chance
>> if they could pick up their old trade in Louisiana.
>>
>> Now, almost 40 years later, there are 8,000 Vietnamese concentrated in a
>> one-mile radius in New Orleans East. The community of fisherman was hit
>> hard by Hurricane Katrina, and then the Deepwater Horizon debacle<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill>, but
>> found ways to come together. At a recent EPA conference on repurposing
>> industrial areas, or brownfields<http://www.epa.gov/swerosps/bf/overview/glossary.htm>,
>> Tap Bui, a community organizer at the Mary Queen of Vietnam Community
>> Development Corporation <http://www.mqvncdc.org/>, discussed how this
>> unique community recovered with sustainable aquaponics.
>>
>> New Orleans East has 60 percent of the land mass of New Orleans but only
>> 20 percent of its population. Before Katrina, there were high levels of
>> poverty and unemployment. As the community fled the storm in late August,
>> 2005, many residents wondered what they would come back to, Bui says. The
>> storm destroyed the community’s hospital and other basic services. Still,
>> by the end of October, more than 2,000 people had returned, and the
>> majority of residents eventually came back.
>>
>> Meanwhile, implementing an “emergency master plan,” then-Mayor Ray Nagin
> [...]

Tran Dinh Hoanh, Esq., LLB, JD
Washington DC
703-969-0080

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail message contains confidential, privileged information intended
solely for the addressee. Please do not read, copy, or disseminate it
unless you are the addressee. If you have received it in error, please call
Hoanh Tran at 703-969-0080.  Also, we would appreciate your forwarding the
message back to the sender and deleting it from your system. Thank you.

This e-mail and all other electronic (including voice) communications from
the sender is for informational purposes only. No such communication is
intended by the sender to constitute either an electronic record or an
electronic signature, or to constitute any agreement by the sender to
conduct a transaction by electronic means. Any such intention or agreement
is hereby expressly disclaimed unless otherwise specifically indicated.