[Ngo-sanrm] [VIN] FAO and GMOs

Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources Management Working Group ngo-sanrm at ngocentre.org.vn
Mon Jun 17 02:25:55 BST 2013

Thanks, Hoanh, first for the FAO link which is a good basic document that
we need to make available on the NGO Resource Center website under the
SANRM Working Group.  The Resource Center's online document storage
capacity is quite large and impressive, so it's an excellent tool for the
SANRM and other working groups including Agent Orange, HIV/AIDS,
Disabilities, etc.

I agree with the cautions and concerns you have expressed.  We simply do
not know enough yet to allow the world to be pushed toward massive
dominance by GMO seeds and crops through the financial and political
manipulations of global corporations such as Monsanto, which attempt to
secret or distort research findings which do not support their claims.
Such manipulation is a fact, and highly respected research scientists have
lost their jobs when their findings disproved public claims coming from
companies pushing their GMO agenda.

Monsanto and others also assured us that Agent Orange was a harmless
herbicide, no danger in any way to human health.  There were a dozen years
or so when anyone could say, truthfully, that "no one has been harmed by
Agent Orange" so what's there to worry about?  Only some years later, when
the horrible effects of dioxin poisoning began to be noticed, did the truth
start to emerge.  We have not had enough time to know whether GMOs will
result in major human health problems, but laboratory tests on animals have
raised significant warning signals.

Craig Stevenson, your contributions are also very important and
thoughtful.  You always share informative and knowledgeable points that are
absolutely relevant to complex issues such as GMOs.  Your credentials as an
organic gardener are persuasive.  Your contributions here help this
discusssion go forward, in a reasonable and constructive way.  These
decisions and policies are critical to future generations.  *We *-- you and
Hoanh and I -- will not be affected much, but the world we leave behind is
a different matter.  And "feeding the world" is not the real mission of
corporate agri-business behemoths such as Monsanto, Dow Chemical, Syngenta,
and others, despite their marketing blitz and glitz.  Profits, *this quarter
*, and dominating the global seed and food market at whatever cost to human
health, family and community independence, and national sovereignty are all
that matter to them.

Hoanh, some useful and interesting comments are resulting from extension of
this issue into the VIN group.  I am forwarding this thread to the SANRM
Working Group list because it is relevant to our discussions and NGO
missions.  Some members of the SANRM Working Group may also wish to
affiliate with the VIN group.

CHUCK

*======================================
CHUCK SEARCY
International Advisor, Project RENEW
Representative, Humpty Dumpty Institute (HDI)
Vice President, Vietnam Enterprise Group (VEG)
Vice President, Veterans for Peace Chapter 160 (Hoa Binh)
71 Tran Quoc Toan, Hanoi, Vietnam
Tel:            +844 6684 2622
Mobile:      +84 (0) 903 420 769
Skype:        chucksearcy
Email:         chuckusvn at gmail.com
 <chucksearcy at yahoo.com>======================================*

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Tran Dinh Hoanh <tdhoanh at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> faulty neo-darwinian, pop-scientific principles, of a small sub-set of the
>> global population who are vehemently opposed to GMO.  Or those who use GMO
>> in food and agriculture as a barrier to trade. Silently while government
>> seek small wins, when there is this revelation or that revelation, more and
>> more nations, even many in Europe, are creating, and planting more and more
>> GMO.  Every large Ag producer in the world uses GMO.
>>
>> GMO, does not carry the same ethical baggage, as the cloning, or
>> characteristic creating (high IQ, nice color eyes, hair, nose, etc) that
>> the genetic engineering of people will have in the near future.  People, we
>> need to read more deeply on the global trends related to this topic, and
>> the human race more generally to understand what we are supporting and
>> decrying.
>>
>> Mans impact on the earth, is what it is, and will be what it will be, but
>> more mature perspectives need prevail, in consideration to those areas of
>> human life which are exponential, trends such as population, and in areas
>> that support human life, increase exponentially.  There is more than just a
>> better, or preference, this is about human survival, true the normal people
>> of the world have to become more mature, limit the number of children they
>> have, make proper personal decisions, as they are the ones who will always
>> make such decisions (whether to plant, or compost, or use bio-degradable
>> materials, re-use grey-water, do without air-conditioning, etc), but we
>> cannot stop working on the solutions (and these are best when monetized, as
>> there are just too many areas of public good, for the public to make good
>> on them).
>>
>> I know that this might surprise, but I am continually surprised at how
>> confused people are on this topic and I study it daily.
>>
>> Craig
>>

>>  --
>>

> --
> Tran Dinh Hoanh, Esq., LLB, JD
> Washington DC
> 703-969-0080
>

> DISCLAIMER:
> This e-mail message contains confidential, privileged information intended
> solely for the addressee. Please do not read, copy, or disseminate it
> unless you are the addressee. If you have received it in error, please call
> Hoanh Tran at 703-969-0080.  Also, we would appreciate your forwarding the
> message back to the sender and deleting it from your system. Thank you.
>
> This e-mail and all other electronic (including voice) communications from
> the sender is for informational purposes only. No such communication is
> intended by the sender to constitute either an electronic record or an
> electronic signature, or to constitute any agreement by the sender to
> conduct a transaction by electronic means. Any such intention or agreement
> is hereby expressly disclaimed unless otherwise specifically indicated.

CHUCK SEARCY
Email:         chuckusvn at gmail.com
Skype:        chucksearcy