[Ngo-sanrm] Fwd: [VIN] Monsanto and GMO's in Viet Nam

Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources Management Working Group ngo-sanrm at ngocentre.org.vn
Mon Jun 10 13:26:15 BST 2013

Hi everybody,

I suppose some or all of us will meet together Tuesday at the workshop.

As a matter of passing interest, since a number of us have been paying
close attention to the GMO issue, you might be surprised that this question
is being picked up and discussed in a lot of places -- not just among NGOs
or those involved in agriculture or food production.

This string of messages is from a group called the Vietnam Information
Network, with a focus mostly on technology and innovation.

CHUCK SEARCY

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thu Hương Phạm <phamthuhuong1010 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Subject: Re: [VIN] Monsanto and GMO's in Viet Nam
To: VNinfonet at googlegroups.com

Dear chị Linh, anh Duyên and all family,

Thank chị Linh and anh Duyên for sharing.

"GMO infiltration is much more prevalent in Viet Nam than I thought. -Kieu
Linh"

Yes, GMO products on the Vietnam market for more 10 years, after we import
corn, soybeans .. from U.S and others countries.

But why is Vietnam - an agricultural country - import a large quantity of
corn and soybeans so? Because Vietnam can not grow these plants?

I think GMOs in Vietnam has impact very much, besides the health impact.

1. The export impact:

The importation of corn, soybeans .. will create a series of genetically
modified food (GMF) in the country.

According to the classification of Department of Agriculture in U.S.,
animals which are fed by GMF also be classified as GMF. Corn and soybeans
are the main raw materials for livestock and fisheries.  So, livestock and
fisheries Vietnam will be classified as GMF.

People in in-country maybe use GMF because they don't know. But when we
export, people in out-country (specially, in Japan and Europe), they will
hardly use. Our exportation will be impact.

2. The livestock and fisheries impact

The importation of corn, soybeans and other agricultural products - are the
main raw materials for livestock and fisheries -  will make cost of
livestock and fisheries higher.

And when the cost in in-country rise high, people usually will eat pork,
chicken, eggs.. from other countries (for example: cheap food from China).

Especially in 2015, when ASEAN becomes a single market, barriers will lift
off, the livestock and fisheries of Vietnam will impact very much.

So I think the solution to this problem is: Reduce plant rice - rice is not
high productive, increase plant corn, soybeans .. and other plants.

There are many agricultural countries have major production - is not rice.

For example in Philippines.

Every year, Philippines has to import rice. However, exports of major
agricultural production such as coconut, tobacco, sugar ... are not only
offset the import rice costs but also redundant billions of dollars each
year.

There are my little opinion. They have many errors. Thank you very much for
reading. I look forward hear your voice.

Have a great day.

Em Hương,

Hi, em Huong and Others,

 ​