[Ngo-sanrm] Vandana Shiva: How Economic Growth Has Become Anti-Life

Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources Management Working Group ngo-sanrm at ngocentre.org.vn
Sun Nov 3 02:34:30 GMT 2013

 Most of us were disappointed when Dr. Vandana Shiva had to cancel her
visit to Vietnam last year.  We hope she will reschedule in the near
future.  In the meantime, she continues to write and speak out eloquently
on issues related to agricultural sustainability, the environment, and
protecting future generations from chemical and other abuses that are
ravaging our life systems around the globe.  She is one of the most
informed experts on issues related to GMO seeds and crops.

A major component of the problems we face has to do with "growth" as an
non-debated goal, an assumed priority for all countries including Vietnam.
In fact, *growth *can be extremely destructive.  The way we are defining
that term and using it as a (false) measure of prosperity and well-being is
a factor that prevents governments from acting in the best interests of
ordinary citizens.  It's another reason that government leaders are held
hostage to corporate and monied interests that care only about tomorrow's
profits -- not about the future of our children.  The economic terms and
measurements are slanted to support the priorities of the few, and the rich.

Vandana Shiva is one of the most effective in articulating such issues --
which will require us to adjust our thinking (and the policies of
governments) to more realistic and sustainable aims.  The problem is, that
will reduce the wealth of the top layer of super-rich in all countries.

That's the battle we're facing.

CHUCK

**

*============================CHUCK SEARCY71 Tran Quoc Toan, Hanoi,
VietnamMobile:      +84 (0) 903 420 769Email:         chuckusvn at gmail.com
<chuckusvn at gmail.com>Skype:        chucksearcy============================*

*How Economic Growth Has Become
Anti-Life*<http://www.commondreams.org/view/2013/11/01-2>

by Vandana Shiva

*"An obsession with growth has eclipsed our concern for sustainability,
justice and human dignity. But people are not disposable – the value of
life lies outside economic development."*

**