[Ngo-sanrm] Vietnam's long-term strategy for rice production for export

Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources Management Working Group ngo-sanrm at ngocentre.org.vn
Thu Apr 3 16:50:30 BST 2014

*===========================================*

*CHUCK SEARCY International Advisor, Project RENEW Vice President, Veterans
for Peace Chapter 160 (Hoa Binh) 71 Tran Quoc Toan, Hanoi, Vietnam Tel:
      +844 6684 2622  Mobile:     +849 0342 0769  Skype:       chucksearcy
Email:        chuckusvn at gmail.com  <chucksearcy at yahoo.com> Web:
www.landmines.org.vn <http://www.landmines.org.vn> *
*Web:          www.veteransforpeace.org <http://www.veteransforpeace.org>*
*Web:          vfp-vn.ning.com <http://vfp-vn.ning.com/>*

*Blog:          chucksearcy
<http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=1159007311032373013#allposts>
<chucksearcy at yahoo.com>===========================================*

Economy: Vietnam's long-term strategy for rice production for
export<http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/TalkVietnam/%7E3/LuELmnpaPIA/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email>

*(VOVworld) -**Agriculture is considered an important corner-stone of
Vietnam's economy, especially set against the difficulties caused by the
global economic crisis. Because of this Vietnam is paying special attention
to crop restructuring and the application of science and technology to
agricultural production to increase the values of export items including
rice. *
[image: Application of advance technologies and mechanization should be
promoted in agricultural
production.]<http://www.talkvietnam.com/files/2014/04/application-of-advance-technologies-and-mechanization-should-be-promoted-in-agricultural-production-1469020-01-04-kt-co-gioi-hoa-nong-nghiep.jpg>*Application
of advance technologies and mechanization should be promoted in
agricultural production.*

Farmers in the Mekong River Delta, Vietnam's biggest rice granary, had a
bumper harvest from the 2013 - 2014 winter-spring crops. Despite a good
crop with the average yield of up to 10 tons per hectare in many provinces,
rice growers are suffering from annual concerns about low prices. Since the
middle of March, the government has implemented a program to purchase 1
million tons of rice for stockpile to share the burden with farmers and
help stabilize rice prices. But the collection can only prevent prices from
further dropping instead of keeping it higher, while Vietnamese rice has to
compete intensely with other regional products. By the end of April,
farmers in the region are expected to complete the harvest of more than 1.6
million hectares of rice, according to Nguyen Phong Quang, Deputy Head of
the Southwest Standing Steering Committee. Quang said: "*Farmers are the
most vulnerable group because they grow a lot and have bumper crops but
prices are declining. This is a major issue in the Mekong River Delta. We
need more careful studies and should be more active in the buying of rice
for stockpile to stabilize prices from the beginning to the end of the
crop.*"

Apart from increasing the value of rice, seeking more outlets, and ensuring
profits for farmers, Vietnam has designed a sustainable agriculture
development strategy. A master plan to restructure the sector with the
focus on boosting crop restructuring, developing large rice fields, and
applying advanced technology in production is considered the right
long-term track.
[image: Growing orchids in rice fields is a way of crop restructuring has
resulted in higher income for
farmers.]<http://www.talkvietnam.com/files/2014/04/growing-orchids-in-rice-fields-is-a-way-of-crop-restructuring-has-resulted-in-higher-income-for-farmers-1469020-01-04-kte-chuyen-doi-mo-hinh.jpg>*Growing
orchids in rice fields is a way of crop restructuring has resulted in
higher income for farmers.*

Reality shows that large-scale rice fields, a production model with the
involvement of enterprises, are proving effective in its economic and
social aspects. The implementation of this model has revealed that the
living conditions of farmers participating in the program have improved
remarkably. Nguyen Van Tac from Vinh Binh commune in An Giang province said:

"*Many farmers, including me are satisfied with the production model of
large-scale fields because it has increased the value of our rice. We get
more practical benefits by developing brands for exported rice.*"
[image: Growing watermelons in rice fields is another successful model of
crop restructuring bringing in high productivity and
earnings.]<http://www.talkvietnam.com/files/2014/04/growing-watermelons-in-rice-fields-is-another-successful-model-of-crop-restructuring-bringing-in-high-productivity-and-earnings-1469020-01-04-kte-chuyen-doi-mo-hinh-trong-dua-hau.jpg>*Growing
watermelons in rice fields is another successful model of crop
restructuring bringing in high productivity and earnings.*

This link between the state, scientists, enterprises, and farmers has been
tightened. Nguyen Van Cuong, a farmer who is joining the Vinh Binh
large-scale field investment by An Giang Plant Protection Company, says:

"*Since we work with the company, we can decide to whom we want to sell
rice. This means like at present, that after harvesting, if the selling
price is at an appropriate level, we can sell our product. But if not, we
can keep it for storage, dry it, and wait until we can sell it for a good
price.*"

Vietnam has become a leading global exporter of rice and a number of other
agricultural products. The sector has acknowledged the restructuring of
crops and animals and the application of high-technology as the keys to
helping it make up a larger part of the national economic structure.

Thanh Tung <http://www.talkvietnam.com/tag/thanh-tung/>