[Ngo-sanrm] The Soaring Price of Limes

Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources Management Working Group ngo-sanrm at ngocentre.org.vn
Wed May 14 03:12:39 BST 2014

Sorry this is not available in VN translation.

Is the "lime shortage" something to be concerned about in Vietnam?

At a minimum, this article may be another warning against over-dependence
on global markets, the unseen traps that may lie in wait from costly (and
risky) shipment of foods far and wide, chemical and other preservation
technologies applied to enhance appearance and extend shelf life, and the
serious loss of nutritional and health benefits provided by natural foods
that were grown locally in the past, nearly everywhere.  (When I was a boy,
growing up in a small town in southern United States, my family had a
vegetable garden, and we raised chickens in the back yard. No longer does
that exist anywhere in the U.S.)

Vietnam still has a better chance than most countries to recover and
maintain the "local source" natural cycle of sustainable food production
which has thrived here for a thousand years.

Does anyone know about lime production in Vietnam?  Is this situation
something that Vietnamese fruit growers (and lime lovers) should worry
about?

*CHUCK SEARCY*

*M    +8 490 342 0769*

*E     chuckusvn at gmail.com <chuckusvn at gmail.com>*
*Sk   chucksearcy*

 The Soaring Price of Limes Means Trouble: Are Asian Bugs and Climate
Change the Culprits?<http://act.alternet.org/go/46645?t=7&akid=11799.1875448.N1k79q>

Andrew Nikiforuk, The Tyee

The average price of limes has shot up from 23 cents to over a dollar --
here's why. READ
MORE»<http://act.alternet.org/go/46645?t=8&akid=11799.1875448.N1k79q>