[Ngo-sanrm] China Launches Media Campaign on Biotech Crops

Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources Management Working Group ngo-sanrm at ngocentre.org.vn
Wed Oct 8 16:32:21 ICT 2014

The GMO news from China is almost as confusing as the information we get in
Vietnam.

First China says the country must protect its "seed sovereignty" as a
matter of national security, and GMO seeds will not be allowed.

And now this article appears, circulated in the Crop Biotech Update which
is a media platform for ISAAA, the International Service for the
Acquisition of Agri-Biotech Applications.  ISAAA is based in Manila, in
Ithica, New York, and in Nairobi, Kenya.

*CHUCK SEARCY*
*M    +8 490 342 0769*
*E     chuckusvn at gmail.com <chuckusvn at gmail.com>**Sk   chucksearcy*
 China Launches Media Campaign on Biotech Crops
<http://isaaa.us5.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=90d9912fca3d624d294e24b28&id=60e4b397d8&e=9c14d9ad52>
 Section: News from Around the World
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#148eef0f2dd79de9_section1>

hina's government launched a media campaign on biotech crops
<http://isaaa.us5.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=90d9912fca3d624d294e24b28&id=6e92322636&e=9c14d9ad52>
to address misinformation about the technology. According to the Chinese
agriculture ministry, they would try to educate the public on biotechnology
<http://isaaa.us5.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=90d9912fca3d624d294e24b28&id=346a4ee1ec&e=9c14d9ad52>
through television, newspapers, and the Internet.

China
<http://isaaa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=90d9912fca3d624d294e24b28&id=757c5c0363&e=9c14d9ad52>
has been importing large amounts of biotech soybeans
<http://isaaa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=90d9912fca3d624d294e24b28&id=bdf8d0c515&e=9c14d9ad52>
for several years, mainly for feed
<http://isaaa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=90d9912fca3d624d294e24b28&id=c52ea4de36&e=9c14d9ad52>
and for vegetable oil. China takes about a third of the world's soybeans,
and snaps up about 65 percent of all imports each year.

"(We will create) a social atmosphere which is beneficial for the healthy
development of the genetically modified industry," the agriculture
<http://isaaa.us5.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=90d9912fca3d624d294e24b28&id=16862d5a10&e=9c14d9ad52>
ministry said in a statement.

For more details, read the article at
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/china-launches-media-campaign-to-back-genetically-modified-crops/