[Ngo-sanrm] sustainable agriculture in Vietnam

Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources Management Working Group ngo-sanrm at ngocentre.org.vn
Tue Jan 27 19:47:01 ICT 2015

I read, with great interest, the following article entitled:
Deputy PM holds bilateral talks in Davos, VN backs global food security
The article:
Deputy PM holds bilateral talks in Davos, VN backs global food security - Politics & Laws | Politics, Business, Economy, Society, Life, Sports - VietNam News - VietNam News

|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| Deputy PM holds bilateral talks in Davos, VN backs globa...Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh held bilateral meetings on Thursday, on the cusp of the 45th annual World Economic Forum in Davos,... |
|  |
| View on vietnamnews.vn | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

 I wonder, how can any country who opens their arms wide to a multinational non-sustainable company like Monsanto, make such a claim?  The genetically modified seeds and organisms do nothing at all for sustainability - to the contrary, and by definition, they allow mega-doses of it's product Round-up which they claim preserve the plant, yet destroys everything around it - including the soil.
Food security is one of the most precious rights that we have as human beings - and as sovereign nations.  By using Monsanto GM seeds, we are giving up said sovereignty and inviting companies, such as Monsanto, to take over and control the food sources throughout the world - including Vietnam.
And let us not forget, this is the same Monsanto who was and is responsible for the death and destruction of over 3 million Vietnamese Victims of Agent Orange.  The same Monsanto who told us Agent Orange was safe - and to this day, Monsanto does not acknowledge the destruction it continues to dole out in Vietnam and around the world.
Food sovereignty?  I think not, Mr. Phat:
Sustainable agricultureMinister of Agriculture and Rural Development Cao Duc Phat attended the "Global Food Security Agenda" session at the ongoing World Economic Forum meeting in Davos, Switzerland, yesterday. In his speech delivered at the event, the minister talked about the creative and sustainable development of Viet Nam's agricultural sector. He then joined more than 1,000 officials from around the globe to discuss measures to develop agriculture sustainably, including investing in smart value chains, improving resilience to climate change and expanding cultivation. Talking to Vietnam News Agency correspondents in Davos, Minister Phat said that Viet Nam's attendance at the session aimed to contribute to global efforts to ensure food security while promoting the country's agricultural achievements and calling for foreign investments in the sector. The event also offered a good chance for Viet Nam to share its experience in implementing public private partnership (PPP) models in the sector, particularly the "Grow Asia" initiative, of which Viet Nam was a stakeholder, he added. — VNS
Let us not forget what Henry Kissinger had to say about food sovereignty:
"Control the food, and you control the people".
Sure, let's welcome Monsanto with arms open wide - are over 3 million Vietnamese Agent Orange Victims not enough?
Chuck Palazzo

Chuck Palazzo
Agent Orange Action Group
http://aoag.org/
Chapter 160, Hoa Binh, Veterans For Peace
http://vfp-vn.ning.com/

chuck_pal at yahoo.com