[Ngo-sanrm] ​Poland Becomes 14th European Nation to Officially Ban GMOs

Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources Management Working Group ngo-sanrm at ngocentre.org.vn
Mon Oct 5 14:54:36 ICT 2015

True Activist
<http://www.trueactivist.com/breaking-poland-becomes-the-14th-european-nation-to-officially-ban-gmos/>
​October 4, 2015​

​
Poland Becomes 14th European Nation
to Officially Ban GMOs

*Poland is the latest country to reject genetically*
*modified organisms in their food production.*
​

[image: polandgmos10415]
As Radio Poland reports,
<http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/223049,Poland-opts-out-of-GMOs> the
nation of Poland has officially announced its decision to join thirteen
other nations so far in it’s excluding Monsanto’s controversial crops from
its nation’s farmland. The news was announced by Informacyjna Agencja
Radiowa (IAR)
<http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/223049,Poland-opts-out-of-GMOs>, a press
agency working with Polskie Radio in Poland.

The fourteenth country to opt out of growing GM crops, Poland joins the
ranks of Slovenia, Serbia,  Croatia, Latvia, Italy, Germany
<http://www.trueactivist.com/breaking-germany-follows-scotlands-lead-and-opts-to-ban-gmos/>
, Scotland <http://www.trueactivist.com/scotland-completely-bans-gmo-crops/>,
Wales, Lithuania, Austria, Ireland, France, and Greece.

Many countries are boycotting Monsanto’s controversial crops, specifically
the biotech company’s genetically modified maize, for fear that GMOs will
contaminate the country’s natural crops. According to Scotland’s Rural
Affairs Secretary, Richard Lochhead:

*“[…] I am concerned that allowing GM crops
<http://www.trueactivist.com/genetically-modified-organism-gmo-myths-and-truths/>
be grown in Scotland would damage our clean and green brand, thereby
gambling with the future of our £14 billion food and drink sector.”*

Clearly, other nations agree.
Europe has been in strong opposition to genetically engineered foods for
decades now, resulting in a number of mass protests. Earlier this year, for
example, Polish farmers protested in the streets and took to their tractors
<http://althealthworks.com/5160/polish-farmers-block-roads-in-new-protest-demand-a-ban-on-gmos-from-government/>
shut down motorways. They sought to express their disapproval of foreign
influences taking over their industry and succeeded. The country of Poland
has now made it official that Monsanto’s genetically engineered crops will
not be allowed within its borders moving forward.
​

​C​
ountries in Europe have until October 3rd to decide if they will opt out of
growing GMOs or not.

*Will any more join the list before the
International Advisor, Project RENEW Vice President, Veterans for Peace
Chapter 160 (Hoa Binh) Co-Chair, NGO Agent Orange Working Group 71 Tran
Quoc Toan, Hanoi, Vietnam Tel:            +844 6684 2622  Mobile:     +849
0342 0769 Email:        chuckusvn at gmail.com  <chucksearcy at yahoo.com> Skype:
      chucksearcy Web:          www.landmines.org.vn