[Ngo-sanrm] Russia Completely Bans GMOs in Food Production

Sustainable Agriculture and Natural Resources Management Working Group ngo-sanrm at ngocentre.org.vn
Sat Sep 26 11:27:43 ICT 2015

*True Activist
<http://www.trueactivist.com/russia-completely-bans-gmos-in-food-production/>*

September 22, 2015

*Russia Completely Bans GMOs in Food Production *

by Amanda Froelich <http://www.trueactivist.com/author/amandaf/>

Victory! Following news of Scotland and Germany opting to ban genetically
modified foods
<http://www.trueactivist.com/breaking-germany-follows-scotlands-lead-and-opts-to-ban-gmos/>,
news has surfaced of the Russian Government completely banning the use
of genetically
modified ingredients
<http://www.trueactivist.com/latvia-and-greece-kick-monsanto-out-opt-to-ban-gm-crops/>
in
any and all food production.

During an international conference on biotechnology, Deputy PM Arkady
Dvorkovich stated:

“As far as genetically-modified organisms are concerned, we have made
decision not to use any GMO in food productions.”

Basically, Russia flew past the issue of GMO labeling
<http://www.trueactivist.com/latvia-and-greece-kick-monsanto-out-opt-to-ban-gm-crops/>and
shut down the use of any and all genetically modified foods that would have
otherwise entered the food supply
<http://www.trueactivist.com/worldwide-banking-resignations-triple-according-to-revised-numbers-why-now/>
through
packaged foods (and the cultivation of GMO crops
<http://www.trueactivist.com/anti-acta-activists-protest-across-europe/>).

For anti-GMO proponents
<http://www.trueactivist.com/says-study-goats-fed-gm-soy-have-altered-dna-milk-and-offspring/>,
this is huge, exciting news.

To put the bold move into perspective, imagine what effect this would have
in the United States.
<http://www.trueactivist.com/100000-german-beekeepers-just-called-for-a-ban-on-gmos/>Completely
banning GM crops
<http://www.trueactivist.com/gmo-study-broadcast-russian-gmo-rat-experiment-to-be-broadcast-247/>
and
their inclusion in processed foods
<http://www.trueactivist.com/new-report-debunks-myth-that-gmos-are-key-to-feeding-the-world/>
would
mean a total transformation of the food manufacturing industry. But, of
course, Russia and the United States are anything but parallel on this
issue; 90%+ of the staple crops like corn and soy grown in the United
States are genetically modified.
<http://www.trueactivist.com/new-report-debunks-myth-that-gmos-are-key-to-feeding-the-world/>Much
work needs to be done before America is ready to embrace a GMO food
revolution
<http://www.trueactivist.com/10-scientific-studies-proving-gmos-can-be-harmful-to-human-health/>
 like Russia.

As Reuters reports:
<http://www.rt.com/politics/315844-government-decides-to-ban-gmo/>

“According to official statistics the share of GMO
<http://www.trueactivist.com/major-vermont-hospital-plans-to-remove-gmos-from-its-menu/>in
the Russian food industry has declined from 12 percent to just 0.01 percent
over the past 10 years, and currently there are just 57 registered food
products containing GMO in the country. The law ordering obligatory state
registration of GMO products
<http://www.trueactivist.com/global-march-against-monsanto-gmos-poison-babies-cause-cancer/>
that
might contact with the environment will come into force in mid-2017.”

President Vladamir
<http://www.trueactivist.com/total-gmo-ban-to-be-considered-by-russia-within-weeks/>
intends
to keep genetically modified foods out of Russia while staying in
compliance with the World Trade Organization’s (WTO) commandments. As Natural
Society <http://www.naturalsociety.com/> shares
<http://www.naturalsociety.com/>, in a past meeting addressing the members
of the Board of the Russian Federation Council he stated:

“We need to properly construct our work so that it is not contrary to our
obligations under the WTO. But even with this in mind, we nevertheless
have legitimate
methods
<http://www.trueactivist.com/russias-presidesigns-gmo-labeling-liability-law/>
and
instruments to protect our own market
<http://www.trueactivist.com/monsanto-admits-theres-a-whole-department-dedicated-to-discrediting-anti-gmo-experts/>,
and above all citizens.”

Essays and articles on a range of topics are shared with a select group of
friends and contacts, not because I necessarily agree with the observations
and opinions.  *If you do not wish to receive such items, let me know and I
will take you off this list.*  (Selective deleting is another option.)

*CHUCK SEARCY Hà Nội, Việt Nam M    +8 490 342 0769*
*E     chuckusvn at gmail.com <chuckusvn at gmail.com>*