[Ngo Climate Change] CDM and hydropower in Vietnam

Mattijs Smits mattijs.smits at sydney.edu.au
Sun Sep 23 00:15:20 ICT 2012

Dear all,

Through this email I hope to reach people and organisations working on carbon finance and energy in Vietnam and specifically those working on CDM and hydropower. I have recently started a research project together with Carl Middleton (Chulalongkorn University) on these issues and I'm hoping to get in contact and discuss with people to exchange information and possibly collaborate.

The main objective of the research project is to explore if and how the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) as a global mechanism for sustainability affects hydropower and water governance in the Mekong region, with a specific focus on Vietnam. In order to do so, I aim to (1) map the developments of hydropower CDM in the Greater Mekong Sub-region, by focusing on types and size of projects and  the different institutions involved; (2) understand the intersection between CDM as a global governance mechanism and a national water governance context, focusing on the different stakeholders involved in CDM in Vietnam; and (3) understand the ways in which CDM influences hydropower governance for a specific project through a case study of a hydropower CDM project in Vietnam.

I would be very happy to hear from anyone who has an interest in these issues to discuss further. I would also be happy to explain more or share information collected so far. In addition, I'm coming to Hanoi on the 1st of October for a short visit and hope to meet with various stakeholders involved in these issues. Please let me know if you would like to meet or if you know any people/organisations working on CDM and hydropower. Thank you in advance for your help!

With Kind Regards,
Mattijs Smits

MATTIJS SMITS | PhD Candidate
Human Geography | School of Geosciences | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 474, Madsen Building F09 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9351 6617 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting | F +61 2 9351 3644 | M +61 4 2340 8312  end_of_the_skype_highlighting
E mattijs.smits at sydney.edu.au<mailto:mattijs.smits at sydney.edu.au> | W http://www.sydney.edu.au<http://www.sydney.edu.au/>

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.

Please think of our environment and only print this e-mail if necessary.