[Ngo Climate Change] Case studies for City Development Strategy for Da Nang City

Ambika Usha Chawla ambika.chawla at unhabitatvietnam.org
Tue Aug 13 11:04:52 ICT 2013

Dear NGO Working Group on Climate Change:

Greetings, my name is Ambika Chawla and I am currently working as a
consultant for UN-Habitat Vietnam where I am conducting research and
writing for the City Development Strategy (CDS) for Da Nang City. The CDS
will look at green growth principles and approaches and how those can be
integrated into Da Nang’s urban planning framework. In addition, we will be
looking at transformative approaches to urban planning, which would include
urban community-based adaptation (CBA) strategies. The idea is that these
strategies would provide “food for thought” for city officials in Da Nang
who are grappling with the fact that climate change will exacerbate
urbanization challenges.

As part of the chapter on transformative approaches, I would like to
include a number of case studies of locally-driven initiatives to build
resilience to climate change, preferably taking place in or around Da Nang
City.

If any of you in the Climate Change Working Group are coordinating
innovative community based adaptation initiatives in cities in Vietnam, it
would be wonderful to hear from you. UN-Habitat Vietnam would be interested
in including a case study of your work for the City Development Strategy
for Da Nang City. Moreover, it would give donors and the international
community an opportunity to learn more about your projects.

Please do contact me if you think your work would be relevant for the CDS.

Thank you very much, I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards, Ambika Chawla