[Ngo Climate Change] Mekong rice & salt intrusion - US radio reporter seeking help

Christopher M. Johnson christophermosejohnson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 08:24:52 BST 2014

I'm a US radio reporter living in Hanoi. I'm working on a story about how
rice farmers in Vietnam's Mekong River Delta are being impacted by climate
change-induced sea level rise.

The story is about
(1) the climatic changes that are leading to salinity intrusion in parts of
the delta, and what that's doing to rice crop yields, and whether or not
this is (projected to be) a worsening trend;
(2) the  impact - financial and otherwise - on farmers and others in the
region, and how they are adapting;
(3) and the roles that government and NGO agencies are playing.

I need help with 2 aspects of the project.

First, I am looking for someone to accompany me on a day trip to the
region. They should be someone who understand the salinity and adaptation
issues well, who speaks both English and Vietnamese, and who
knows/understands the region. We will cover all travel expenses.

Second, I would love to speak with someone here in Hanoi who could give me
a clearer outline of the state of things in the Mekong (concerning climate
change). It can be exclusively for background, if that makes it more
likely. A big picture conversation.

The story is for a US radio show called *Burn: An Energy Journal
<http://burnanenergyjournal.com/>*. We cover a wide range of issues
concerning climate change and energy around the world.

We create radio stories for major public radio broadcasters, including two
radio shows titled The World <http://www.pri.org/programs/the-world> and
Marketplace <http://www.marketplace.org/>. They are part of large radio
networks in the US - Public Radio International (a BBC affiliate), and
American Public Media, respectively. This means that our stories air on
hundreds of radio stations across the country.

Thanks,

Christopher M. Johnson
Hanoi, Vietnam
(84) 127 762 1572