[Ngo Climate Change] Conference on Community-based Disaster Preparedness

Wilson John Barbon wilsonjohn.barbon at iirr.org
Mon Jun 2 13:39:54 ICT 2014

Dear colleagues in the work of disaster risk reduction,

We are pleased to invite you to participate in any of the 3
Country-level Conferences we are organizing to share innovative
approaches on community-based disaster preparedness and resilience
through the NGO Disaster Preparedness Program, a joint project of
Give2Asia (G2A) and the International Institute of Rural Reconstruction
(IIRR). The program aims to share knowledge and best practices in
community-level disaster preparedness in Asia. It seeks to highlight and
raise more financial support for the most innovative and effective
disaster preparedness initiatives in many at-risk communities in the
region.

These conferences will identify the types of projects funded by the NGO
Disaster Preparedness Fund over the next 2 years. The Fund will support
one-year projects up to $25,000 and two-year projects up to $50,000. We
are also collecting concept notes on disaster preparedness and
resiliency building programs for consideration under this Fund. To learn
more about this opportunity or apply for funding, visit
www.give2asia.org/RFP <http://www.give2asia.org/RFP>.

There will be a maximum of 90 participants coming from the 6 countries
targeted by the project. These countries are: Bangladesh, India,
Indonesia, Myanmar, the Philippines, and Vietnam. Since the seats for
these country-level conferences are limited, those of you who are
interested to attend must accomplish and submit a Case Story Intake Form
which you will find in the attached announcement. This will be the basis
for selecting the participants. The selected case stories will be
presented during the conference. All selected participants will be
sponsored by the NGO Disaster Preparedness Program for their travel,
room and board for the duration of the conference. Below are the
schedules of the Conferences:

 1. July 2-4 - Philippines and Indonesia; venue will be in the Philippines
 2. August 5-7- Bangladesh and India; venue in Bangladesh
 3. August 26-28 week- Myanmar and Vietnam; venue will be in Myanmar

All the submitted Case Story Intake Forms will be reviewed by a
selection committee comprise of IIRR and Give2Asia. With your
permission, all these stories will also have the opportunity to be
published in the online NGO Disaster Preparedness Platform. The
deadlines for submission are as follows:

*Conference Dates and Venue*

*Cut-off Dates*

*July 2-4*- Philippines and Indonesia; venue to be in the Philippines at
IIRR's Yen Center in Silang, Cavite

June 16, 2014

*August 5-7*- Bangladesh and India; venue in Bangladesh to be announced

July 4, 2014

*August 26-28*- Myanmar and Vietnam; venue in Myanmar to be announced

August 6, 2014

We look forward to receiving your stories and learning from your
experience. Please feel free to circulate this announcement into your
own networks.

Sincerely yours,

*Wilson John Barbon*

Project Manager, NGO Disaster Preparedness Program

International Institute of Rural Reconstruction

--
WILSON JOHN D. BARBON
Project Manager, NGO Disaster Preparedness Program

"Reconstruction--while we aim to create a new society, we must not forget we are doing it with an old society".--Dr. James Yen