[Ngo Climate Change] FW: New Media Action Data Portal - Climate Asia data and more

Vu Quoc Anh Anh.VuQuoc at oxfam.org
Fri Apr 7 15:24:00 ICT 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sonia Whitehead <sonia.whitehead at bbc.co.uk<mailto:sonia.whitehead at bbc.co.uk>>
Date: Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 4:14 PM
Subject: New Media Action Data Portal - Climate Asia data and more
To: Sonia Whitehead <sonia.whitehead at bbc.co.uk<mailto:sonia.whitehead at bbc.co.uk>>

Good morning,

We were last in touch around the publication of our Climate Asia research in 2012/13 and I’m writing to let you know that the data from the project has now migrated to the new BBC Media Action Data Portal<http://dataportal.bbcmediaaction.org/site/> launched today.  This portal is best viewed on a desktop or tablet.

In addition to the 2012 Climate Asia data from Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, Nepal, Pakistan and Vietnam the portal contains more recent resilience data from Bangladesh, Tanzania and Myanmar.

The interactive online resource features reports<http://dataportal.bbcmediaaction.org/site/assets/uploads/2016/07/Political-Participation-research-report-1.pdf>, visualisations<http://dataportal.bbcmediaaction.org/site/assets/uploads/2016/11/170227-Media-Story-Final.pdf>, tools<http://dataportal.bbcmediaaction.org/site/assets/uploads/2016/07/ClimateAsia_CommGuide.pdf>,  and data from BBC Media Action research conducted with more than 100,000 people in 13 countries across Africa, Asia and the Middle East over the last five years. It also includes information on the methodology and questionnaires used.

The information is organised by country and theme – currently governance, resilience and media. More will be added in the coming months.

We believe that people should be at the heart of any development plan or project so have designed this resource to help development leaders, practitioners and researchers better understand what ordinary people in the developing world think, feel and want.

Knowing someone’s age, gender, location, income, and education only gives you part of their story. It is also important to consider what people know and believe about something, how they feel about it and what they are already doing about it.  This helps you to plan projects or communications more effectively.

We support the principle of open data so are excited to share the wide range and depth of insights with colleagues and partners across the sector through the Data Portal. We have produced video guides which explain how to use the main features available here<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY7MRN8aX14&feature=youtu.be> and here<https://youtu.be/4KqvYxcZfV4>.

This Insight blog<http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mediaactioninsight/entries/99955d2d-f472-4184-a631-f02d23c8aed0> picks out some interesting examples of information available on the site.

I hope that you will explore the Data Portal, share it within your own organisiations and networks, and on social media with the suggested Tweets:

New @bbcmediaaction Data Portal has research findings from 100k people in 13 countries: http://bit.ly/2myGte9
#devdataportal #mediadev

What do people in the developing world think and believe? Find out on new @bbcmediaaction Data Portal http://bit.ly/2myGte9
#devdataportal

We are also very keen to hear any feedback you have about the Data Portal and how you have used the data in your work. If you have any questions or comments please use this email address: BBCMediaActionResearchandData at bbc.co.uk<mailto:BBCMediaActionResearchandData at bbc.co.uk>

Yours sincerely,
Sonia Whitehead

Sonia Whitehead
Head of Research
BBC Media Action
Skype: sconiawick
Ibex House, 42-47 Minories, London, EC3N 1DY
Follow us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/bbcmediaaction?_rdr=p> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/bbcmediaaction?lang=en-gb> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/bbcmediaaction/>
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D250BB.40AECE30]

Statutory information and further information relating to BBC Media Action is available on: www.bbcmediaaction.org<http://www.bbcmediaaction.org/>

http://www.bbc.co.uk