[wildtrade] [Save Vietnam's Wildlife] - August 2015 Newsletter

Save Vietnam's Wildlife info at savevietnamswildlife.org
Thu Sep 3 11:24:24 BST 2015

Save Vietnam's Wildlife - August Newsletter 2015

View this email in your browser (http://us11.campaign-archive1.com/?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=d4f56a0be8&e=ef15f3a1a1)

Dear Friends and Supporters,
Save Vietnam’s Wildlife team is working hard to care for the largest  number of pangolins we have ever had and rescued. In the last 8 months, we have rescued over 120 confiscated pangolins from the illegal wildlife trade, which is twice as many as the number of pangolins rescued by CPCP from 2006 to 2014.  At the rehabilitation centre, the rescued animals are being provided fresh food and veterinary care, essential steps to nursing them back to health before their release to the wild – their home.
This month has also seen us busy with wildlife education, research and animal welfare projects. Please read the newsletter to learn more.

http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=7cbc817601&e=ef15f3a1a1
We are so grateful to have had 18 contributors so far, who joined in helping us kit out our upcoming Pangolin and Small Carnivore Education Centre.

We have just elected an interior design company to accompany with in the completion process of the Education Centre. The design implementation plan is now being rolled out.

We are still on track to hit our goal of $8000 by December 15, 2015 to finish and open this Education Centre by the end of the year. We believe with your support, we can bring new interactive and immersive experiences to Vietnamese visitors to learn about wildlife issues at the Education Centre.

If you want to get involved, please support us by donating here (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=fbd9602e04&e=ef15f3a1a1) .

Thank you VERY MUCH to all our friends and supporters! You’re helping us work with our community to save Vietnam’s wildlife.

VISIT OUR CROWDFUNDING CAMPAIGN (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=e4c74128d9&e=ef15f3a1a1)
RESCUE, REHABILATION AND RELEASE

** 56 Sunda pangolins rescued from Thanh Hoa Province
August 14, 2015 –  Save Vietnam’s Wildlife rescued 56 Sunda Pangolins from Nga Son District's Police Force, Thanh Hoa province...Read more>> (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=4cbb604f69&e=ef15f3a1a1)

** A local resident in Ho Chi Minh city voluntarily handed over a pangolin
August 12, 2015, Mr Lam Thuan from Ho Chi Minh City and SVW decided to transfer the pangolin to the cu chi wildlife rescue station...Read more>> (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=685c3fb662&e=ef15f3a1a1)

** 5 Sunda and 2 Chinese pangolins received from Nghe An province
August 14, 2015 – Save Vietnam’s Wildlife received 5 Sunda pangolins and 2 Chinese pangolins from the illegal wildlife trade ... Read more >> (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=a5cd93517e&e=ef15f3a1a1)

** 7 Sunda pangolins rescued from Ninh Binh province
August 23, 2015 –  Save Vietnam’s Wildlife  rescued 7 Sunda pangolins from  the illegal trade in Ninh Binh province... Read more >> (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=6b652a24fa&e=ef15f3a1a1)
WILDLIFE EDUCATION
One month ago we launched a contest amongst our volunteers called “Pangolins and Friends”. The contestants submitted many creative suggestions, such as drawings, writing, and videos to demonstrate their work and experience while interviewing local people and their love for pangolins. We have chosen three groups to award the monthly prizes too; Binh Phuoc, Ha Noi and Can Tho volunteer groups.The final winner will be chosen at the end of the contest.

David Pinault is an American citizen who came to volunteer with Save Vietnam's Wildlife in late July, 2015.  David was particularly interested in pangolins husbandry and conservation. Read about David’s experience volunteering with SVW to learn more...Read more>> (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=b533e1cc89&e=ef15f3a1a1)

RESEARCH
RESEARCH AND ASSESS THE REALITY OF PANGOLIN TRADE AND CONSUMPTION IN VIETNAM” - Update
With the support from Humane Society International, SVW researchers and volunteers have continued research into pangolin trade and consumption in Vietnam:

- 114 volunteers have interviewed 5000 local people about their understanding of pangolins, including their recommendations to save pangolins in Vietnam;

- SVW researchers have completed surveys on hunting, trading, and consumption of pangolins in Ho Chi Minh city and Thua Thien Hue province. Our staff has visited hunters, traders, restaurants, and traditional medicine shops to get information of price, trade routes, quantity, and law enforcement status;

- Our staff have also interviewed traditional doctors in the hospitals in Ho Chi Minh city and Thua Thien Hue province to find out why people use
pangolinscales, and alternative remedies to pangolin scales.

New home found for rescued pangolins

With the arrival of so many new pangolins, the SVW team has been hard at work looking for suitable and safe release locations for the animals. Finding an appropriate site isn’t easy – it must be within pangolins natural home range, provide enough food for released animals, and be somewhere that released animals can directly contribute to wild pangolin conservation. Working with Green Viet, WWF, rangers, and field biologists, to conduct habitat assessments in potential release sites for pangolins, the SVW team visited several sites in central Vietnam before choosing an appropriate site. Part of the team’s work involved developing a plan to improve law enforcement at the proposed release site.
WORKING WITH GOVERNMENT

Aug 17,2015 - Deputy Minister of Natural Resources and Environment of Vietnam Mr Bui Cach Tuyen visited our rehabilitation centre. The guests were guided around the center by CPCP Manager Mr. Tran Quang Phuong. He introduced them about our conservation activities and new arrival rescued pangolins. The delegates were impressed and encouraged us to save more wildlife.

ANIMAL WELFARE

Transferred animal care skills

This month, Technical AdvisorHeidi, and Head Wildlife Keeper Hung spent 3 days working with the wildlife keepers at Pu Mat National Park rescue centre to transfer animal care skills. Save Vietnam’s Wildlife aims to demonstrate and promote good animal welfare to organisations throughout Vietnam.

OUR TEAM
Heidi Quine, our Technical Advisor, started working at SVW in early 2015. Working within the animal welfare and conservation fields for over 15 years, Heidi’s role with SVW includes advising on animal welfare and husbandry for the CPCP (a collaboration between SVW and Cuc Phuong National Park), fundraising, as well as communications and... Read more>> (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=462164b0fd&e=ef15f3a1a1)
http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=036a9affbc&e=ef15f3a1a1
Facebook (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=00a1274a34&e=ef15f3a1a1)
http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=13061ceccf&e=ef15f3a1a1
Twitter (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=b1567f4a1e&e=ef15f3a1a1)
http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=22b23e8d87&e=ef15f3a1a1
Website (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=d25539cdac&e=ef15f3a1a1)
http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=d79d4f2be8&e=ef15f3a1a1
Pinterest (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=eb48bb4a6c&e=ef15f3a1a1)
http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=f5076490cd&e=ef15f3a1a1
Google Plus (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=f9fcc2f566&e=ef15f3a1a1)
SUPPORT US (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=11216c23d2&e=ef15f3a1a1)

We would like to say a big thank you to supporters across the globe, without whom we could not carry out our vital operations.

Organization Donors

Individual Donors

Whitley Wildlife Conservation Trust
Newquay Zoo
Welttierschutzgesellschaft e.V
Humane Society International
Shaldon Wildlife Trust

Ellen Klages
Tracey Taylor
Sue Mawson
Stella Reeves
M Jay
Andrew Wolstenholme
Paul Tyson
John Cobey
Shelley Hall
Samantha Brown
Juha Lemettinen
Caroline Jarvis
Alice Vassallo
Michael Adams
Christopher Alexander
Yasemin Cennet Sünbül
Karen Wible

Copyright © 2015 Save Vietnam's Wildlife, All rights reserved.
 Contact list

Our mailing address is:
Save Vietnam's Wildlife
Cuc Phuong National Park, Nho Quan, Ninh Binh
Hanoi, Ninh Binh 100000
Vietnam
You can ** update your preferences (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/profile?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=17293de0da&e=ef15f3a1a1)
 Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp