[wildtrade] [PR] Run for Wildlife - Take action against extinction - ENV

ENV Communication communication.env at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 09:00:22 ICT 2016

Dear Sir/Madam,

Ha Noi (Dec 11, 2016) - Over 600 runners took to the streets today to
participate in the 2016 "Run for Wildlife". The run was a way for
participants to demonstrate their support by "taking action against
extinction' and urging the public not to use traditional medicine made from
endangered wildlife.

image002.jpg

The 10th annual run was hosted by the Hanoi Red River Runners (RRR) in
partnership with Education for Nature - Vietnam (ENV). This year,
participants had the opportunity to choose one of four endangered species
that they would be running for, tigers, bears, rhinos, and pangolins. All of
these species are often hunted and used in traditional medicine.

"Time is running out for tigers, rhinos, bears and pangolins," said ENV Vice
Director, Ms. Nguyen Phuong Dung. "Each of us must act now to bring an end
to the killing of these animals, and one important and meaningful action we
can take is not to consume traditional medicines made from endangered
wildlife."

"Moreover, when you choose to use modern medicine over use of traditional
medicine made from wildlife, you are both helping yourself and saving lives
in nature," said Ms. Dung.

Among the participants running for wildlife today were teams from the
British, American, French, South African, European Union embassies and the
U.S. Agency for International Development, as well as ENV's corporate
partners, including Pan Pacific Hanoi, Netco Post and Cargo Company and
teams from the NGO community. As always, RRR hosted 5k, 10k, and 21k (half
marathon) races to allow for as much participation as possible, from small
children to seasoned runners.

"We were excited about the event this year. Our runners not only had the
opportunity to engage in a healthy activity they love, but in doing so, they
are also helping protect endangered species," said Mr. Richard Leech, Hanoi
Red River Runners. "I hope that their messages will inspire others across
the country to take action to protect wildlife"

ENV would like to thank the public for their participation in the race, both
as runners and fans along the route, as well as the Hanoi Red River Runners
for hosting this annual event in support of wildlife protection. We would
also like to thank the volunteers from ENV Wildlife Protection Network that
dedicated their time to assist with the race, without whose support this
annual event would not be possible.

For more information, please contact:

ENV Communications team

Address: Block 17T5, 17th floor, Room 1701, Hoang Dao Thuy street, Cau Giay
district, Hanoi, Vietnam

Tel: (+84) 4 6281 5424

Email: communication.env at gmail.com
Website: www.envietnam.org <http://www.envietnam.org/>