[wildtrade] [Save Vietnam's Wildlife] - June 2016 Newsletter

Save Vietnam's Wildlife info at savevietnamswildlife.org
Mon Jul 11 16:25:18 ICT 2016

Save Vietnam's Wildlife Monthly Newsletter
June 2016
View entire content of this Newsletter in your browser (http://us11.campaign-archive1.com/?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=f87804ba3e&e=ef15f3a1a1)
Dear Friends and Supporters,

It’s been a busy month with a large pangolin rescue, a civet and leopard cat release and our Kid’s Room in the Education Centre finally complete. Read on to find out more.
Rescue 22 pangolins from an illegal wildlife trade in Ninh Binh province.

On 19^th June, Police of Ninh Binh Province arrested three people who were illegally transporting 22 pangolins weighting a total of 91 kg by train from Hue to northern localities for sale.

After receiving the news from the Forest Protection Station of Ninh Binh, we immediately went to rescue the animals and brought them back to our centre for care. Most were in poor health as they had been held in tight nets without food and water for a long period. Many of them were force-fed corn meal and other ingredients we are yet to identify to increase their weight. Despite their poor condition, 21 of the 22 pangolins have survived and most are doing well. We are still monitoring one pangolin who is eating poorly very closely.

A video of the rescue can be seen here (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=a686328dca&e=ef15f3a1a1)
DONATE NOW TO HELP US CONTINUE OUR RESCUE WORK (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=491f766728&e=ef15f3a1a1)
RESCUE, REHABILITATION AND RELEASE
Release a Masked palm civet and a Leopard cat - time to return home.

On 9^th June, the masked palm civet and leopard cat that had been rescued from Nam Dinh one month prior were released. The masked palm civet had a broken front foot when we received it but after treatment it recovered completely and was able to climb very well on all branches in his quarantine enclosure. Both the civet and the leopard cat were given their final clearance by visiting of WCS vet before they were returned to the forest in Cuc Phuong National Park.

Please click here (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=11a2e339d9&e=ef15f3a1a1) to watch a video of the release of a Leopard Cat and Masked Palm Civet.
CONSERVATION EDUCATION AND OUTREACH
Keeper for a day

This month we welcomed 13 staff members from the Hanoi office of Booking.com who volunteered to visit us at Cuc Phuong Nation al Park as part of their company’s Booking.com Cares program.  The volunteers helped keepers prepared enrichment for the animals in our care by rolling banana segments into tight grass rolls, hunting for grasshoppers for the civets and helping the keepers with their other daily duties. They were also given a tour through our Education Centre.

Talking about their experience after the trip, they stated that the day was incredibly  meaningful and valuable  and that they gained an insight into conservation issues in Vietnam, also understood better what people should do to protect the wildlife.
Photography Workshop for staff with Lynne Roberts-Goodwin

This month, we were lucky enough to have a visit from Lynne Roberts-Goodwin, a renowned photographic artist from Australia, who is also Senior Lecturer in Photo Media at the University of New South Wales, Sydney.

As all our animals are nocturnal, the workshop was a great chance for us to learn how to capture the best photo of animals in low light. Lynne also donated a tripod and a light reflector so we could put into practice the skills she taught us. She also took a series of photos for us and donated them all to us. Thanks Lynne so much for your generous help!

To find out more about Lynne you can visit here (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=5a1f5f14ce&e=ef15f3a1a1) .
The Kids room is now complete!

Thanks to our wonderful professional volunteer Sofiya Shukhova the Kid’s room in the Education Centre is now complete. Sofiya worked closely with Lan, our Education Outreach Manager, to create a space that is not only beautiful but educational.  We are very grateful to Sofiya, who devoted her time and efforts to come to us and make our dream of fun and happy Kid’s Room come true.

The room got it’s first test run when local children came to visit. The result? Success! They really enjoyed playing games and doing the playful quizzes painted on the walls. Many did not want to leave until late evening. The arts have a powerful role to play in education and we have been very lucky this month to have two wonderful artists, Lynne and Sofiya, donate their time to help us out.

To find out more about Sofiya visit here (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=e04cbff779&e=ef15f3a1a1)
ADVOCACY
Save Vietnam’s Wildlife opposes pangolin farming.

There has been increasing talk about pangolin farming as a conservation strategy which we strongly oppose. This month we were visited by Vietnamese TV on the subject of farming wildlife. We have also released a video on the subject. For more information, please visit here (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=8563aafe23&e=ef15f3a1a1)
ANIMAL WELFARE
WCS vet visit our centre to check animals’ health.

With the kind support from WCS’s vets, our rescued animals in centre had a check-up this month. The injured tail and left ear of the Owston’s civet rescued last month are healed and they also checked pangolins and took urine, faeces and blood samples from the pangolins currently resident as part of ongoing monitoring of their health.
OUR TEAM
Hello!

Bryn Morgan, our new Research Manager comes to us from the UK where he recently completed his MSc in Primate Conservation at Oxford Brookes University. There he chose to focus his own research on the illegal wildlife trade, which remains his focus. Prior to this, he worked over a span of ten years as an expedition leader. There, in many remote regions of the world, he has been lucky enough to experience the enormous variety our planet has to offer, from the myriad species we live with, to the varied peoples and cultures and to the many threats they face. It has also made conservation a clear path to follow into the future. With his guiding and assistance for research team, more projects to understand about carnivore and pangolin will be developed.

And Mr. Nguyen Cong Phap, who gained a Bachelor of Marketing Management at Da Nang university and has over 5-year experience working in marketing, will be our new Communication Officer. With his special love for animals, Phap dedicates his skills, knowledge and experience in marketing and communications to protect our lovely animals. We are delighted to welcome Bryn and Phap to the team.

Mai Anh, our previous communications officer has moved to the research team.
We would like to say a big thank you to supporters across the globe, without whom we could not carry out our vital operations.
Organisation Donors Individual Donors
Whitley Wildlife Conservation Trust, Totochan school Charlotte Davis Grant Stewart
Newquay Zoo, Ha Noi International School Wendy Parr and Finley Parr Stephen Tombs
Welttierschutzgesellschaft e.V, Hoàng Thị Quyên Simon Tiffin Sheri Costas
Humane Society International, Ban Tài chính kế toán
EVN Hà Nội Greg Roxby Sue Mawson
Taronga Conservation Society Australia, Lynne Roberts-Goodwin. Colin Groves Janet Anderson
Wildlife Conservation Network Peter Shadix Dalia Gabriela Hernandez Acosta Louisa Jaskulski
Future For Nature Joyce Murray Rosamund Shannon
Synchronicity Earth
The Biodiversity Foundation
Riverbanks Zoo & Garden
Croeni Foundation
Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative
Collaton St Mary's Primary School
SUPPORT US (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=7175c09bdf&e=ef15f3a1a1)
http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=e6d9bda320&e=ef15f3a1a1
http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=d9465de419&e=ef15f3a1a1
http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=a63029d17c&e=ef15f3a1a1
mailto:info at savevietnamswildlife.org

Copyright © 2016 Save Vietnam's Wildlife, All rights reserved.
Contact list

Our mailing address is:
Save Vietnam's Wildlife
Cuc Phuong National Park, Nho Quan, Ninh Binh
Hanoi, Ninh Binh 100000
Vietnam - Tel: (+84) 303 848 053
You can
** update your preferences (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/profile?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=17293de0da&e=ef15f3a1a1)

This email was sent to wildtrade at ngocentre.org.vn (mailto:wildtrade at ngocentre.org.vn)
why did I get this? (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage1.com/about?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=17293de0da&e=ef15f3a1a1&c=f87804ba3e)     unsubscribe from this list (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=17293de0da&e=ef15f3a1a1&c=f87804ba3e)     update subscription preferences (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/profile?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=17293de0da&e=ef15f3a1a1)
Save Vietnam's Wildlife . Cuc Phuong National Park, Nho Quan, Ninh Binh . Hanoi, Ninh Binh 100000 . Vietnam

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp
http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&afl=1