[wildtrade] [Save Vietnam's Wildlife] - April 2016 Newsletter

Save Vietnam's Wildlife info at savevietnamswildlife.org
Wed May 11 15:58:20 ICT 2016

Save Vietnam's Wildlife Monthly Newsletter
April 2016
View entire content of this Newsletter in your browser (http://us11.campaign-archive2.com/?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=f214680b39&e=ef15f3a1a1)
Dear Friends and Supporters,

Highlight event of this month!

On April 15, our Executive Director Thai Van Nguyen received the Future for Nature Award 2016 in the Netherlands. This international prize of €50,000 is a great recognition and provides a much needed support for our work.

As part of receiving award ceremony, Thai gave a talk to over 500 guests, most of them had never heard about pangolin before about their status and our efforts in conserving this critical endangered species.

For more information about the awards and event, please visit here (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=5102fd70dc&e=ef15f3a1a1 )
RESCUE, REHABILITATION AND RELEASE
Successful rescue of one Masked Palm Civet and one Leopard Cat.

On 19th April, we successfully rescued one Masked Palm Civet and one Leopard Cat from the illegal wildlife trade in Nam Dinh province. According to the trader, he had attempted to transport for sale two Masked Palm Civets and one Leopard Cat from Ninh Binh to Nam Dinh province. However, he had been caught and the animals were confiscated by the Environmental Police Department of Nam Dinh.

When we came to rescue the animals, one of the Masked Palm Civets had already died due to massive wounds and stress of its ordeal. The other Masked Palm Civet had a broken front foot caused by a snare trap and the Leopard Cat had also suffered a serious injuries at her foot. Traps and snares are the primary way that animals are hunted in Vietnam. Many of the trapped animals die before they even reach the illegal market. These deaths are so senseless and yet another reason for us to raise awareness to the public about wildlife protection and also to work to enhance law enforcement in Vietnam.
PLEASE HELP US TO CONTINUE TO IMPROVE THE MEDICAL CARE OF OUR ANIMALS (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=b2fbceb8d8&e=ef15f3a1a1)
CONSERVATION EDUCATION AND OUTREACH
We are the winner for the ALMOST FAMOUS AWARD of Spring 2016.

Thanks to our Facebook followers, three of our posts about pangolins reached 2,203 likes and shares in total. This incredible engagement won us the ‘Almost Famous Award’ of 5000 SGD. We will spend this money to take care of our poor injured animals that rescued from wildlife trade and give more chance for them to be back into wild soon. For more information of award, please visit here ‪ (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=68fe09769c&e=ef15f3a1a1) #almostfamous.
Special visit by Simon Brown from Taronga Conservation Society Australia.

This month, we have the honor of receiving Simon Brown, Unit Supervisor of Backyard to Bush, Taronga Conservation Society Australia who came to spend time with us and learn about pangolins which is one of Taronga focus species in its centenary year. We also exchanged a lot of ideas about how to make visitor experiences to our Education Centre more meaningful during his stay with us. Taronga Trust is also one of our kind supporters.
Spreading the love of wildlife to students.

At the middle of this month, we supported a project of YSEALI (Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative) to help secondary students in Ninh Binh province gain more knowledge about protecting wildlife. All of the students were so excited to visit our animals. A lot of them shared with us that meeting the survivors of wildlife trade in our Education Centre inspired them to take action and strive to be conservationists in the future.
RESEARCH
Social Survey on Pangolin Consumption and Attitudes: Data analysis stage complete.

The data analysis of our social research is now complete. In the next few weeks, a detailed report will be synthesized and produced. The research results will be presented at the Pangolin National Action Plan workshop in Hanoi at the beginning of August. The research will form a strong base for us in moving forward with stakeholders and audiences in pangolin conservation efforts.
ADVOCACY
Providing technical support to uplist eight pangolins species to Appendix 1.

A good news for pangolin conservation is 4 proposals for transferring all eight species of pangolin to Appendix I from Appendix II which has been submitted to CITES CoP17. In this proposal, we provided the technical support for two species: Chinese pangolin and Sunda pangolin. The proposals will be discussed by the parties to CITES which takes place from 24 Sep to 5 Oct 2016, in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Raising pangolin conservation issue to the members of National Assembly of Vietnam.

On 27th April, our Executive Director Thai Van Nguyen presented ‘Challenges of pangolin conservation in Vietnam’ to members of the National Assembly of Vietnam at the workshop, ‘Review of the implementation of legislation protecting endangered wildlife in Vietnam’ hosted by Science, Technology and Environment Unit of Vietnam’s National Assembly and USAID’s Governance for Inclusive Growth Program.

Due to the issues of illegal hunting, illegal trading, weak law enforcement and lack of awareness wild pangolin populations are rapidly declining. We called upon the Vietnam National Assembly act on this serious problem and to ensure effective law enforcements to save the pangolin.
ANIMAL WELFARE
Simple but effective.

The most favorite food of our Owston's civets is grasshoppers and our Binturongs is banana. Every week our keepers put their favorite food into a grass ball, so that they can have reward when they do a bit of work to find their food. We must say, the civets have a very good sense of smell so they can find their food very fast at night.
OUR TEAM
Since our volunteer program has started, we have been lucky to receive a lot of support from international friends who came to help us. Especially during the first three months of 2016, 11 volunteers from five different countries have devoted total 840 hours of their lives to offer care and love to our animals and our work. Here is a lovely card that Simon and Teja, two of our volunteers sent to us. For us, all volunteers become a part of SVW’s family.
We would like to say a big thank you to supporters across the globe, without whom we could not carry out our vital operations.
Organisation Donors Individual Donors
Whitley Wildlife
Conservation Trust,
Newquay Zoo,
Welttierschutzgesellschaft e.V,
Humane Society International,
Taronga Conservation Society Australia,
Wildlife Conservation Network
Future For Nature
Synchronicity Earth
The Biodiversity Foundation
Riverbanks Zoo & Garden
Shaldon Wildlife Trust,
Sierra Club
Weekends and more Group
Class 7A5-Nguyen Sieu Secondary School Trang Pham
Louisa Jaskulski
Janet Anderson
Sue Mawson
Stephen Tombs
Grant Stewart
Sheri Costas
Paul White
Dalia Gabriela Hernandez Acosta
C N Gray
EdQuelin Elevated
Claire Ryan
Sarah Friedel

Mark Robinson
Rosamund Shannon
Phoebe Weseley
Phaedra Oikonomopoulou
Charlotte Davis
Rudy Scheffer (Sierra Club)
Francesca Andreacchio
Trinh Hiep family
Tran Van Trung – HCM City University of Transport
Kristine Karnos

Le Thị Thanh
Hoang Kim Thoa
Nguyen Thị Thanh Nhan- Nguyen Sieu Secondary School
Minh Khue- Phan Dinh Giot primary school
Tran Hai Anh- Nguyen Sieu primary school
Cao Tuan Nam and Cao Tuan Dung
Le Minh Dang and Le Pham Minh Phuong
Evan Kruse

SUPPORT US (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=f8b68a1381&e=ef15f3a1a1)
http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=c7e93fef26&e=ef15f3a1a1
http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=edb557a1fb&e=ef15f3a1a1
http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=90f26f9e1d&e=ef15f3a1a1
mailto:info at savevietnamswildlife.org

Copyright © 2016 Save Vietnam's Wildlife, All rights reserved.
Contact list

Our mailing address is:
Save Vietnam's Wildlife
Cuc Phuong National Park, Nho Quan, Ninh Binh
Hanoi, Ninh Binh 100000
Vietnam - Tel: (+84) 303 848 053
You can
** update your preferences (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/profile?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=17293de0da&e=ef15f3a1a1)

This email was sent to wildtrade at ngocentre.org.vn (mailto:wildtrade at ngocentre.org.vn)
why did I get this? (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/about?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=17293de0da&e=ef15f3a1a1&c=f214680b39)     unsubscribe from this list (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=17293de0da&e=ef15f3a1a1&c=f214680b39)     update subscription preferences (http://savevietnamswildlife.us11.list-manage.com/profile?u=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&id=17293de0da&e=ef15f3a1a1)
Save Vietnam's Wildlife . Cuc Phuong National Park, Nho Quan, Ninh Binh . Hanoi, Ninh Binh 100000 . Vietnam

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp
http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=344fa4b75e498b8c29bd1b4cc&afl=1