Short-term national consultancy to provide technical service on the VietGAP certification process for 60 ha of SRI rice of Hoai My Cooperative, Hoai My commune, Hoai Nhon district, Binh Dinh province.
SNV has been working in Vietnam since 1995. Using market based approaches, SNV is committed to reducing poverty by catalyzing environmentally sustainable solutions for the poor in agriculture, energy, water & sanitation, and REDD+.
SNV is engaged in the agriculture sector implementing Value Chain, Inclusive Business and Climate Change adaption and mitigation activities. SNV is currently implementing a DFAT/Australian Aid funded project Sowing the Seeds of Change: Community-based Climate Change Mitigation through Sustainable Rice to support and build the capacity of small holder rice producers and provincial agencies to apply the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) - an innovative, efficient, environmentally sustainable and climate smart farming technique that increases productivity of rice cultivation while reducing requirements for water, seed, synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides and labour; reduce considerable volume of GHG emission and increase resilience for rice production.
This system is also applicable to the central region where this project will upscale the implementation of the SRI system to two provinces in the central region of Viet Nam. Utilising an integrated approach the project includes; inclusive business and value chain development to create growth, access to markets, jobs, capacity development, income increases and wealth for the poor; and explore bio-energy solutions utilising rice residue biomass to reduce GHG emissions and alleviate waste disposal problems.
Hoai My cooperative is one of 07 cooperatives in Binh Dinh province applying the System of Rice Intensification (SRI) under the support of Binh Dinh DARD and expertise of SNV and others. Hoai My commune, Hoai Nhon district is located 80km far from Quy Nhon city to the North. Hoai My cooperative has around 300 ha of rice, in which 60 ha apply the SRI techniques in this 2015 spring crop. In order to support Hoai My Cooperative in certifying VietGAP standards for 60 ha of SRI rice production, SNV Vietnam is looking for a certification body to provide technical training and VietGAP certification process in the mentioned areas.
The main objective of the consultancy is i) to assess, audit and award VietGAP certification for 60 ha of rice cultivation for the Hoai My cooperative in Hoai My commune, Hoai Nhon district; ii) to provide knowledge and skills on Good Agriculture Practices (VietGAP) according to standards setup by the Ministry of Agricultural and Rural Development applied for rice.
Scope of work
The consultant(s) will fulfil the following tasks, in cooperation with Hoai My Cooperative and Department of Agriculture and Rural Development of Binh Dinh province.
- Provide technical training on VietGAP standards for SRI rice for 350 farmer households in Hoai My cooperative who will follow VietGAP standards.
- Organize and facilitate: Two training workshops (one in Quang Binh and another in Binh Dinh) on VietGAP certification for rice: potentials, experience and recommendations for 25-30 participants per training workshop including the farmers, cooperative leaders, millers, DARD officers.
- Conduct appraisal and assessment of production conditions of 60 ha of SRI rice of Hoai My cooperative according to the VietGAP standards, and further VietGAP certification award for 60 ha of SRI rice.
- Develop a training report and results of VietGAP certificate granting, including recommendations on VietGAP related capacity building and management during production process.
Expected outputs and deliverables
The consultant(s) will be expected to provide following deliverables until 30 April 2015:
- Methodology and training agenda on VietGAP standards for SRI rice farmers
- Outline of presentation, PPT presentation, Agenda for Training workshop on VietGAP certification for rice: potentials, experience and recommendations in Quang Binh and Binh Dinh provinces.
- Detailed implementation plan and VietGAP assessment methodology according to MARD regulations
- VietGAP assessment according to MARD regulations for 60 ha of SRI rice of Hoai My Cooperative, Hoai My commune, Hoai Nhon district, Binh Dinh province
- Certificate on VietGAP standards for 60 ha of SRI rice of Hoai My Cooperative
- Training report on technical procedures for VietGAP rice production
- Final report on VietGAP assessment and certification (in Vietnamese and English)
The consultant(s) is/are expected to deliver the expected outputs as per the following schedule between 20 Jan 2015 to 30 April 2015.
- Technical and financial proposal 15, Jan, 2015
- If selected, detailed methodology and implementation plan, with documents and other tools to be provided during the assignment 20/Jan
- Deliver VietGAP training during the period 25 Jan – 10 Feb, 2015
- Assess, appraise and grant VietGAP certificate from March 25th, 2015 to April 10th, 2015
- Final report in VN and EN, and contract liquidation by April, 30, 2015
- Consultancy service providers must be organizations/companies that have legal status and certified by the Ministry of Agricultural and Rural Development for performing services on assessment and granting VietGAP certification for rice in Vietnam
- Consultant(s) providing services should be capable and have skills to provide training and services on assessment and granting VietGAP certification
- Experience with VietGAP training, development and assessment for rice production, with more than three service contracts on VietGAP assessment in the last three years.
Applications should consist of: a) The updated profile of company/organization with CV(s) of the proposed expert(s); b) Detailed proposal including work plan/timetable activities and cost estimates that identify the number and frequency of consultant working days for fieldwork for operational and logistical plans and revising, throughout the duration; by both English and Vietnamese languages.
Deadline for application is 5:30pm, 15 Jan 2015, to be sent to:
Mr. Bui Van Minh/ Sustainable Agriculture & Value Chain Advisor
Email: mbu[email protected]
and c.c to: [email protected] 
Address: SNV - Netherlands Development Organization / 6th floor, Building B, La Thanh
Hotel/ 218 Doi Can street, Ba Dinh, Ha Noi